• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First timer question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
    I thought the second rule was dont talk about contractor club.

Yes, but we dont talk about that rule
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

We've had to abolish that rule, as we wouldn't be able to waste away our days on this forum
      The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by jamescoleuk
        [*]I have enough money to last for two or three months without a pay cheque. Credit cards would of course carry me a whole lot further but at painful interest so I'd rather not go there. Should I have more savings before moving into contracting?
        Depends on your circumstances and attitude to a bit of risk !? Normally I would say quit and then look for your contract but a 2 or 3 month buffer is a bit thin so maybe be a bit more cautious. As an oldie with responsibilities I would need a 12 month buffer these days to feel comfy but living on your credit carfds will certainly help your self promotion skills and interview technique.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne
          Hi James,

Definately DO NOT quit your job before you land your first gig. You have to always think about the money (thats the first rule of Contractor Club!)

Its far better to find a gig while you're working, most jobs will wait for your notice period, but if they want you immediately, then simply fake a bad back when handing in your notice to your permie gig.

In my opinion, dont do aything which risks you being without money.

Sal
          Hi Sally,

I am finding myself in the same problem. Less and less companies are willing to wait longer than 2 weeks for a contractor. Well, I guess the choice is either you risk and jump off without a contract first and just tell your company you are leaving in 2 weeks time, but that's another risk as well as you are cutting your bridges. Shouldn't we accept uncertainty as contractors anyway? What if you land on a contract and the contract gets cancelled in 2 weeks (personally happened once already)? If the market is strong enough perhaps is time to count for an extended 3-month holiday?
          I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
            Hi Sally,

I am finding myself in the same problem. Less and less companies are willing to wait longer than 2 weeks for a contractor. Well, I guess the choice is either you risk and jump off without a contract first and just tell your company you are leaving in 2 weeks time, but that's another risk as well as you are cutting your bridges. Shouldn't we accept uncertainty as contractors anyway? What if you land on a contract and the contract gets cancelled in 2 weeks (personally happened once already)? If the market is strong enough perhaps is time to count for an extended 3-month holiday?

Is it the companies who aren't willing to wait a month? Or the agents telling you that?
            Tell the agents you are available immediately, go to the interview, then when they want you, arrange an appropriate start date. Most companies need a couple of weeks to sort out log in details and stuff anyway!
            The key is to be able to wing it without panicking or freaking out.

Yes you should definatly be able to accept uncertainties, but you shouldn't put yourself into that position (by leaving a permie job before having a gig to go to). There are enough uncertinties in this game already without adding to it yourself. In my opinion.
            The pope is a tard.

Comment

Hi Sally,

Same problem here. Most people need somebody to start yesterday and won't even look at your skills if they have to wait longer than 2 weeks. I knew this was the case before I started contracting and I just take it as part of being a contractor. Any contractor should have at least a 3-4 months "unemployment" fund for those times when you just can't get the proper gig....
              Carpe Pactum

(does fuzzy logic tickle?)

Comment

Originally posted by To BI or not to BI?
                Same problem here. Most people need somebody to start yesterday and won't even look at your skills if they have to wait longer than 2 weeks. I knew this was the case before I started contracting and I just take it as part of being a contractor. Any contractor should have at least a 3-4 months "unemployment" fund for those times when you just can't get the proper gig....
                Either that or a good plan B.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
                  Either that or a good plan B.
                  Well, my plan B was doomed even before it started (just ask SA, she'll confirm that ), so I'll just have to stick to contracting for the time being and get my next gig pretty soon
                  Carpe Pactum

Comment

Originally posted by To BI or not to BI?
                    Well, my plan B was doomed even before it started (just ask SA, she'll confirm that ), so I'll just have to stick to contracting for the time being and get my next gig pretty soon
                    How about looking for a very well paid permanent job as Plan B?
                    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

How about looking for a very well paid permanent job as Plan B?
                      Not sure I could keep it up for all that time.....
                      Carpe Pactum

Comment

Working...
                      X