• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Official 2018 Budget DOOM thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apologies if I have missed it but is it a full move of ALL off payroll legislation into the private sector or just that part that the client will be responsible for determination.

What I mean is will the 5% that you get for company expenses that is allowable in the current Inside IR35 (not PS obviously) scenario still be allowable?

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
      Oh dear...
      What's up matey

Comment

BBC breakfast actually touched on ir35 though they called it if35 or “something”.

Anyway apparently we are synthetic self employed.

Comment

No one mentioning the clear winner: consultancy companies. Irony is... filling 10 heads on the project they will charge ~2x the contractor rate and pay less in tax.
          Will this mean we'll get employment rights, how about the security? 1y fixed contract would mean we pay more tax with less rights than employee, would that be factored into the value of contract? Would a borrower be more likely to touch you with 1y fixed contract than as business owner/contractor?

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
            No one mentioning the clear winner: consultancy companies. Irony is... filling 10 heads on the project they will charge ~2x the contractor rate and pay less in tax.
            Will this mean we'll get employment rights, how about the security? 1y fixed contract would mean we pay more tax with less rights than employee, would that be factored into the value of contract? Would a borrower be more likely to touch you with 1y fixed contract than as business owner/contractor?
            They must have better lobbyists than IPSE

Seriously, can't we just get IPSE to donate to the conservatives and be done with it. How much can CUK raise?

Would a borrower be more likely to touch you with 1y fixed contract than as business owner/contractor?
            You just show your accounts for the past few years. Generally, lenders don't have a clue about the way contractors work, well at least the Halifax don't.
            Last edited by woohoo; 30 October 2018, 09:34.

Comment

Originally posted by pjt View Post
              I work mainly in the public sector. Managed to bag purely outside gigs since the changes. It can be done guys.
              Same here, I'm deemed outside by the client, in a long contract that will likely go on for years.

It's actually better this way as all liability falls to the client, not the contractor, bring it on for the private sector.

If you are required to purchase Liability insurance by the client you are defacto outside IR35. If they want to deem you inside you are not required to buy insurance which exposes the client.
              Last edited by Unix; 30 October 2018, 09:49.

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
                Same here, I'm deemed outside by the client, in a long contract that will likely go on for years.

It's actually better this way as all liability falls to the client, not the contractor, bring it on for the private sector.
                A good reason why it should be inside IR35
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Educate your clients

Originally posted by Unix View Post

My advice to you all is to get educating your clients now. I've been able to convince one client that initially defaulted everyone to inside to class me as outside. It helps if you can have discussions with your clients before they make any decisions. If you all get clients into the mindset that outside determinations work best for everyone then it will help down the line. Obviously this wont work for everyone and every client as some people are inside and some clients will just blanket but in my experience the work is still available in the public sector for the right roles outside. And if you can get this right the worry of HMRC coming after you is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                    Long contracts don't necessarily mean they are inside IR35.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                      Length of contractor has no bearing on IR35

Comment

Working...
                      X