• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Speaking clock

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mustang
    Thanks for the replies.

It must be 15+ years since I used the service but I keep looking at my watch/PC's/kitchen clock and they all seem to say different times! I think the last time I used it, it was something like 8081!
    8081? I can't remember, but after BT's conversion to a privatised monopoly, it became something like "The time according to Accurist will be xx:xx ..."

PC solution: install an NTP client.
    Radio/TV/video: get products that pick the time up from the radio/TV signal.

Job sorted.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Everything you ever wanted to know about the speaking clock

Comment

You not got much to do tonight then I take it?!
        The pope is a tard.

Comment

No, just watching HIGNFY

Don't feel like going out, you know why

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy
            No, just watching HIGNFY

Don't feel like going out, you know why

I understand xxxx
            The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman
              I expect that given the probable low frequency of calls, they could employ an actual person with a watch to pick up the phone and answer:
              You mean they don't? I'm shocked. How do they do that then, a tape recorder?

Comment

Originally posted by Mustang
                Thanks for the replies.

It must be 15+ years since I used the service but I keep looking at my watch/PC's/kitchen clock and they all seem to say different times!
                That's only a problem if you attempt to do things to a higher degree of accuracy than the spread of time readings. Otherwise you just call it a useful guide to the order of experimental error.

Comment

The present voice, belongs to Brian Cobby (77) who was an assistant supervisor at Withdean exchange in Brighton. He became the first male voice at 11 am on 2nd April 1985. Brian Cobby, an actor by profession before he joined BT, was selected from 12 finalists in BT’s Golden Voice competition, on 5th December 1984.
                  Before Brian Cobby worked for BT, he recorded the “5-4-3-2-1… Thunderbirds are go!” for the theme tune to Gerry Anderson’s TV series
                  A legend!!
                  How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

The BBC and BT were running a competition a couple of weeks back to be the new "Voice of the Clock". Ring a number and leave a recording of yourself to be picked for the final competition. All procedes to Children in Need I believe.
                    Last edited by DaveB; 18 December 2006, 11:22.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB
                      The BBC and BT were running a competition a couple of weeks back to be the new "Voice of the Clock". Ring a number and leave a recording of yourself to be picked for the final competition. All proceded to Children in Need I believe.
                      Perhaps AtW won it and he's been down there for the past couple of weeks recording all those different times.

Comment

Working...
                      X