• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Commuting distance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TonyEnglish
    140 miles per day is a lot - what times are you planning on traveling and where to/from.
    According to the AA Routefinder, it's 90 minutes each way - Leeds to Nottingham to Leeds. Thankfully I've only committed to a month with the client so far, one week of which will be spent in a hotel courtesy of Travelodge's £15/night offer.

So if things get too hairy, I won't have to put up with it for long and might put forward a case for partial working from home if things go well with the client. Would also help with IR35 i imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by chicane
      I'm on the verge of taking a contract that will require a 140 mile round trip every day to get to the client office and back.

I've never done this before and just wondering what sort of distance others travel to get to work. If you travel a long distance, do you feel knackered at the end of every day and does it impede on your productivity?
      I generally count driving time as lost time, and time standing on a train likewise, but sitting on a train or plane as useful time, since I can read books, which is something that I deliberately spend time doing anyway.

Hence I do my weekly trip to Heathrow on trains although it takes longer, and costs more, than it would to drive (and indeed than the flight).

Comment

I'd say that journey, although not fun is doable. Where is the client? Is it in the centre or just off the motorway?
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

110 mile round trip atm, but it only takes about an hour each way (M1 isn't as bad as a lot of people make out).

I would probably stay up there during the week if I didn't have a wife and child though (I probably will stay over the night if I have to pull some silly hours towards the end of the test phase mind).

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
            I have to go to a training course in York in the new year. Booked last week and got 5 nights (sun - thur) at a travelodge for £75 inc VAT. Bargain!
            I use the Youth Hostel in York when I go there. £18.50 per night with breakfast included. 20 mins walk to town centre in the morning along the river. Nice private rooms in old stately home with TV.

Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by expat
              I generally count driving time as lost time, and time standing on a train likewise, but sitting on a train or plane as useful time, since I can read books, which is something that I deliberately spend time doing anyway.

Hence I do my weekly trip to Heathrow on trains although it takes longer, and costs more, than it would to drive (and indeed than the flight).
              Same here, I take the train if I have to commute.

1) You can get work done
              2) Sleeping while driving is dangerous
              Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

220 miles round trip.

It's not so bad. It usually only take 1 1/2 hours to get home, and more like 2 hours to get there, and it's on the motorway so not that tiring. You need to be able to switch off and listen to the radio or music, and then it's fine. I've been doing long commutes for a while and I always think I'll start staying over more often, but it usually ends up being kind of boring and at 7pm I'm thinking "I could have been home by now".

My previous job I'd drive about 70 miles, then catch a train. I'd enjoy the drive on twisty roads (at least whilst it was summer), then get stressed out and miserable when it came to the trains. Being able to drive direct to the office is bliss by comparison.

I keep asking myself if I should up sticks and move closer as I'm only renting, but it's a 6 month job and so in 6 months time I could find myself needing to move again.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

hmmm...lets see. 2miles to the train station, and pray the train turns up.

Like DP, I don't bother with contracts where I either can't get to by train easily or are more than 30 mile commute.

previous contract I had to drive as the bus-train-bus would take 2hours vs. a 20min. commute on Friday's (when there is little traffic). I did know a couple of side roads if the motorway got blocked but sometimes it would backfire. As everyone else would also take the same road.
                  Last edited by lilelvis2000; 14 December 2006, 21:31.
                  McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                  Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Currently doing 55 miles each way on the A1/M62, into Leeds as well. ( Maybe we should have the Christmas do up here instead )

It's a PITA when the traffic is bad otherwise not really a problem. I regard it as decompression time between home and office.

Word of warning, going up the M1 from Nottingham to Leeds is a pig. The stretch around Sheffield is *always* backed up, every morning and evening without fail. It's also an accident black spot.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

My current record is 2 hours each way per day. Was only a 3-monther so not worth moving. Still, I claimed the matchsticks and Pro-Plus on expenses
                      +50 Xeno Geek Points
                      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Working...
                      X