• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

heart bleeds for BAA

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by expat
    SAA (owned by BAA) has ludicrously high landing charges in their Scottish airports unless you come from another BAA airport.
    There is absolutely no way that the competition authorities would allow a charging basis like this. Everybody will be charged the same fee regardless of where they have flown from.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by tim123
      There is absolutely no way that the competition authorities would allow a charging basis like this. Everybody will be charged the same fee regardless of where they have flown from.

tim
      Sorry then, I must have misunderstood the info.

It wouldn't be as simple as that anyway, for example the government does have the policy of "Gateway" airports and "Regional" airports. So I have to fly via London partly because HMG see the London airports as the gateway to the United Kingdom. Not BAA's fault (assuming they didn't buy it).
      Last edited by expat; 14 December 2006, 09:41.

Comment

Originally posted by bobhope
        I thought LHR was the worst until one time I flew into Luton, which manages to combine the incompetence of Heathrow with the chavness of Gatwick in one package.
        That's where I part company with O'Leary, who said that most passengers would avoid Heathrow at any cost. I will avoid Heathrow at almost any cost.

Comment

I've used Luton a few times in the last few months and found OK.

Bremen is good though, 5 mins from getting off the plane to exiting the terminal.

Rome Ciampino is the worst although they are starting to modernise it.
          But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon

Rome Ciampino is the worst although they are starting to modernise it.
            Arrived at night earlier this year with gf and encountered the mafiosi taxi drivers. Too long to explain but was a big charade.

Comment

Originally posted by LegendsWear7
              Arrived at night earlier this year with gf and encountered the mafiosi taxi drivers. Too long to explain but was a big charade.
              I go to Rome 2 - 3 times a year and would strongly recommend pre-booking
              a limo return. The taxis outside charge 50 - 60 euros each way and you can get a limo , usually a Merc for 70 - 80 euros return. The bus is cheap but chaotic and you usually have to catch a Taxi anyway from the Termini to your hotel. Also the bus goes when full and I know of people being stranded at the termini and getting extorted by the taxis for the trip to the airport.
              But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

I go to Rome 2 - 3 times a year
                might have known you'd know about Rome.

Comment

Originally posted by expat
                  might have known you'd know about Rome.

How come Expat?

Comment

I go to Rome 2 - 3 times a year and would strongly recommend pre-booking
                    a limo return. The taxis outside charge 50 - 60 euros each way and you can get a limo , usually a Merc for 70 - 80 euros return. The bus is cheap but chaotic and you usually have to catch a Taxi anyway from the Termini to your hotel. Also the bus goes when full and I know of people being stranded at the termini and getting extorted by the taxis for the trip to the airport.
                    Theres a direct train from Fiumicino airport to Termini, then get a taxi. Getting a taxi in Rome is worthwhile as an experience in its own right anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                      Decline & Fall?

Yep, very interesting book especially the rise of christianity and their increasing militancy. The avtar is Julian the Apostate, the last non christian emperor who tried to reverse the influence of the christians on Roman life, but he died to early for his reforms (non violent) to have effect.

The amount of ancient knowledge lost under Theodosius the Great (Tosser) when he made christianity offical religion of the empire was staggering. The monks were allowed to go and destroy all the pagan temples and probably caused the fire that destroyed the library at Alexandria.

I could go on and on and on ..................................

Comment

Working...
                      X