• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Give the man a medal, don't arrest him...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Don't really care about getting accused of using "dehumanising language", cultures are not equal.

Europe does not sit on magic soil. The world has tulipholes and that is down to the people and their culture.
    Aye parts of Glasgow are absolute shitholes and have been for decades.
    It's the culture of booze, drugs and violence that ensure a life expectancy of mid-50s in some areas, which is worse than parts of Africa.
    And let's not mention the murder rate - 5 times London, was it?
    Is it because of the hordes of Fenians? 17% of the population yet make up 26% of the prison population.
    Almsot as bad as Afro Caribbeans.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      It's the culture of booze, drugs and violence that ensure a life expectancy of mid-50s in some areas, which is worse than parts of Africa.
      Is it because of the hordes of Fenians? 17% of the population yet make up 26% of the prison population.
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glasgow_effect

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        On the other hand you like using the word "import" to make humans feel like scum and unwelcome even if they have come here legally, like most European citizens under the freedom of movement directive, and are law abiding.
        Did I? I used the word import in the same way as the links I showed all are nationally recognised.

I see your opinion is showing.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
          Whereas goods and services like nature is perfectly acceptable!
          you & SueEllen are desperately trying to make it sound like I intended to dehumanise people. I have shown you plenty of examples of other respected sources using the same language.

I think you have a problem focusing on one word to avoid the point.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            Did I? I used the word import in the same way as the links I showed all are nationally recognised.

I see your opinion is showing.
            I'm not sure what you mean by 'nationally recognised', and why you think such national recognition would mean that the language is therefore not dehumanising.

The OED, which is as close to 'nationally recognised' as there is in British English, shows the word as applying to goods and services. In what way is your usage NOT dehumanising?

Comment

Its the some things are already bad lets make it worse argument.

So Glasgow is tulip so let us allow more people into the country without making sure they are good for the country.

Comment

Its the some things are already bad lets make it worse argument.

So Glasgow is tulip so let us allow more people into the country without making sure they are good for the country.
                Good straw man. If you don't understand what that is, there's an explanation earlier on the thread.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                  I'm not sure what you mean by 'nationally recognised', and why you think such national recognition would mean that the language is therefore not dehumanising.

The OED, which is as close to 'nationally recognised' as there is in British English, shows the word as applying to goods and services. In what way is your usage NOT dehumanising?
                  1. It was not intended to be offensive in any way. I'm sorry if you were offended by your misunderstanding of my use of the word.
                  2. The BBC, the Times & the Economist use it in the same way as I did these are most definitely nationally recognised purveyors of words.
                  3. The OED clearly state that language evolves every year when they revise meanings & add new words, whilst the OED is a good reference to my knowledge they have never suggested that their Dictionary is perfect as they strive to document a living thing.

I would suggest we end this Pericombobulation!

The Blackadder Dictionary - What do pericombobulation and contrafibularities mean?

Comment

Good straw man. If you don't understand what that is, there's an explanation earlier on the thread.
                    indeed your attempt was a good straw man.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/straw_man

its one that is regularly raised whenever one questions the logic of importing problems.

Comment

1. It was not intended to be offensive in any way. I'm sorry if you were offended by your misunderstanding of my use of the word.
                      I didn't say you did mean to be offensive and neither am I offended. I have not misunderstood your use of the word. It is clearly dehumanising, whatever the intent.

2. The BBC, the Times & the Economist use it in the same way as I did these are most definitely nationally recognised purveyors of words.
                      That does not mean that they are using the word in a dehumanising way. The logic I have presented that it is dehumanising in unassailable. Continuing to give other examples does not shake that logic.

Comment

Working...
                      X