• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

stock market crash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    That's not true.

The connecting lines are always the ones with the most confluence. i.e. the ones candles interact the most with. That's basic of charting. Amazingly you can nearly always see this confluence even when a market was 1% of its current size when extending into history.

If there's a linechart I've published without this confluence that I'm only cheating myself and shall not profit from it. That is not in my interest. Always try to keep the charts as clean as possible.

Regarding bias, I've noticed that bias fades over time when there's less reason for you to be biased. And that bias only appeared in the first place because of the worry of not having enough money. Money is emotional, no arguing that.
    Unfortunately Scoot, Paralytic is right; you're putting your own bias into your conclusions. This is always the case with charts. You won't see this though as the chart is 'showing' you what yo want to see and hence your bias is being confirmed.

If you looked at this will a bit more of an open mind your charts might show something different. You've been calling 4500 for FTSE now for months and at no time as it looked like going that far south.

Oh well.
    Last edited by Whorty; 5 October 2020, 08:35.
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
      Unfortunately Scoot, Paralytic is right; you're putting your own bias into your conclusions. This is always the case with charts. You won't see this though as the chart is 'showing' you what yo want to see and hence your bias is being confirmed.

If you looked at this will a bit more of an open mind your charts might show something different. You've been calling 4500 for FTSE now for months and at no time as it looked like going that far south.

Oh well.
      October now.

Comment

Oh well.
        The charting software was written by humans.

So called experts are reading the charts, and are peddling there own conclusions based on plotting candlesticks, which are nothing more than showing opening price, closing price, high lows over a certain period.

I mean come on, it’s common sense, you have a program written by a human, that is analysed by other programs written by humans.

So..FTSE 100, technicals:

Hourly = Strong Buy
        Daily = Neutral
        Weekly = Strong Sell
        Monthly = Strong Sell

I know this, because my free app tells me.

If you want to make money doing technical day trading, then your best bet is to use other peoples money to do it, or write a book on how to do it.

Comment

Just out of interest, what bias am I being accused of? Bull / bear?
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Fantasy.

Comment

Oh well.

Never consider the chart as a 100% certain of an outcome. When charting you're drawing what is probable rather than what is possible.

If folks don't like TA, that's totally cool. Just ignore it.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Never consider the chart as a 100% certain of an outcome. When charting you're drawing what is probable rather than what is possible.

If folks don't like TA, that's totally cool. Just ignore it.
                My point exactly.

It’s probable because you have a bunch of computers reacting to exactly the same thing you are seeing. They are just doing it a lot quicker.

It’s a self-fulfilling prediction.

Honestly, I think you guys do the TA because you enjoy it...and that’s fine.

Long as you don’t try and convince others, then I don’t see an issue.

Comment

The bias is that you're selecting which points to connect together to show the 'trend'. There are hundreds of points on the graphs, but you select the ones that support your view.

take your latest chart, there are so many places you could have chosen but you went for 2001 and 2009 points to extrapolate to where your bias thinks the FTSE will land (soon!). You have chosen the dot.com bubble and the financial crisis as indicators of where the market might go during the pandemic (even though you say the pandemic isn't the reason the markets have dropped).

See why your applying your own bias?

Yo have ignore the trend in the market since 2009; that is, since new controls were forced on to banks to ensure that they have sufficient capital adequacy. Or the common sense (mostly) with investors since the dot.com where (most) investors now only buy into companies with some form of income.

By all means stick with your graphs, but just be mindful that whatever lines you draw, it is you drawing them, you choosing the points to connect, and hence your bias. Be very very careful when the graphs are constantly supporting your own view
                  I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by BABABlackSheep View Post
                    My point exactly.

It’s probable because you have a bunch of computers reacting to exactly the same thing you are seeing. They are just doing it a lot quicker.

It’s a self-fulfilling prediction.

Defeatist!

Comment

The bias is that you're selecting which points to connect together to show the 'trend'. There are hundreds of points on the graphs, but you select the ones that support your view.
                      Which point of view? I've charts on TV for BTC/USD/EUR that are both bullish and bearish. Currently open ideas. Always try my level best to remain natural. If I don't I'll not profit.

Comment

Working...
                      X