• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

stock market crash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    That's why you "hedge" your bets. I invest half of what I could invest. So if it goes up I win, if it goes down, I wait patiently and put the other half in and win even more. The further it goes down, the faster it rises and the more you make. You need to be both a bull and a bear at the same time.

So you put half in, it falls much lower, you put half in again (so 3/4 of the pot)? Do you then rebalance, so if say it rockets up, you sell enough to bring your cash pile back to where it was, meaning your remaining shares where effectively "free"?

Do you chase income shares or growth? I read an article that said dividends are illogical, bigger gains are made on growth shares and if you need an income just sell some for profit every quarter.
    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

That's why you "hedge" your bets. I invest half of what I could invest. So if it goes up I win, if it goes down, I wait patiently and put the other half in and win even more. The further it goes down, the faster it rises and the more you make. You need to be both a bull and a bear at the same time.

Agree. I'm currently in, but not in a big way. Obviously, the main uncertainty is the second wave, especially as we approach the autumn because there does seem to be a seasonal component. Any major news on a successful treatment or vaccine, and I think the markets will melt upwards, otherwise it will be very choppy (read: opportunity). Remember, the markets look way ahead of the real economy and have no problem in taking a massively optimistic view when flush with QE cash - they just need some very slight encouragement to justify it.

Charts are for cretins. They're the crystal ball of investing.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
        Agree. I'm currently in, but not in a big way. Obviously, the main uncertainty is the second wave, especially as we approach the autumn because there does seem to be a seasonal component. Any major news on a successful treatment or vaccine, and I think the markets will melt upwards, otherwise it will be very choppy (read: opportunity). Remember, the markets look way ahead of the real economy and have no problem in taking a massively optimistic view when flush with QE cash - they just need some very slight encouragement to justify it.

Charts are for cretins. They're the crystal ball of investing.
        I went in 50% keeping strictly to my strategy but I did have that feeling you get when you jump out of an aircraft
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

At last a winning strategy for the stock market!

Novel Prize 2020 is yours, in all categories!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            At last a winning strategy for the stock market!

Novel Prize 2020 is yours, in all categories!
            That's normal, the stock market always goes up in the long term so you just hoard cash and buy more when it's down. In 5 years the crash will look like a tiny down blip.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

That's normal, the stock market always goes up in the long term so you just hoard cash and buy more when it's down. In 5 years the crash will look like a tiny down blip.
              Fool proof, buy buy buy!

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
                So you put half in, it falls much lower, you put half in again (so 3/4 of the pot)? Do you then rebalance, so if say it rockets up, you sell enough to bring your cash pile back to where it was, meaning your remaining shares where effectively "free"?

Do you chase income shares or growth? I read an article that said dividends are illogical, bigger gains are made on growth shares and if you need an income just sell some for profit every quarter.
                Yes more or less that's how it works, always have dry powder, that makes investment stress free as you're always in the game. These days I tend to go for dividend stocks so my cash account fills up during the good times. The trouble with growth stocks is that they always seem to be expensive, so I don't tend to buy them. In any case the best strategy is to be well diversified, be like Warren Buffet, check out Berkshire Hathaway over the last 10 years. Steady returns and relatively low risk. Buying a range of stocks in an index is a good idea, the more stocks you have the better. My rule of thumb is to have about 60% invested in stocks.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Anyone who is new to investing in shares. Learn how to value them.

The 4 Basic Elements of Stock Value

The thing is there is a lot of "tripe" on the stock market eg airline stocks and cruise lines which are easily avoided, if you learn the basics. Many novice investors lose because they invest in companies whose share prices are down, but are actually in financial difficulty. Always make sure the company you invest in has a healthy balance sheet and an optimistic outlook.

I use motley fool to screen stocks

Motley Fool News & Analysis | The Motley Fool
                  Last edited by BlasterBates; 13 June 2020, 11:03.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

“ Always make sure the company you invest in has a healthy balance sheet and an optimistic outlook.”

Why would share price drop in companies like that?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                      “ Always make sure the company you invest in has a healthy balance sheet and an optimistic outlook.”

Why would share price drop in companies like that?
                      Sometimes they get dumped in a panic sell off along with all other companies. The good, bad and the ugly all fall, some deservedly so, others not so.

Comment

Working...
                      X