• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

stock market crash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    The alternative is to throw 30% of the population out of work and give them nothing.

Would you be happier with a lower tax rate and no job ?
    The way they are doing it is protecting the shareholders / debt holders and building up a bigger bubble of debt laden companies each time they do a bale out. Chapter 11 doesn't smash up the planes, it keeps the company whole and if it's viable somebody buys it from the creditors. They are just delaying the day of reckoning and making the eventual bust bigger each time. I'm happy they've done it as it means my pension pot is intact. For now.

Comment

When the stock market crashed in 1929, basically companies went to the wall, and then after several years of a grinding depression a new President was elected who spent billions to get out of it. So the lesson is if you end up in a depression you're going to have a spend a lot of money at some point, you may as well do it up front and prevent the depression in the first place.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

When the stock market crashed in 1929, basically companies went to the wall, and then after several years of a grinding depression a new President was elected who spent billions to get out of it. So the lesson is if you end up in a depression you're going to have a spend a lot of money at some point, you may as well do it up front and prevent the depression in the first place.
        I think bankruptcy rules and laws have changed a lot since then.

Comment

The alternative is to throw 30% of the population out of work and give them nothing. Would you be happier with a lower tax rate and no job ?
          The alternative is not to save a few billions on prep for inevitable events like pandemic.

Also really good alternative is not to have moronic system that allows somebody like Trump to be in charge

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            The alternative is not to save a few billions on prep for inevitable events like pandemic.

Also really good alternative is not to have moronic system that allows somebody like Trump to be in charge
            The German government was the only one to introduce a furlough scheme during the last recession, which is what everyone is criticising and their debt went down faster than everyone else. That's because companies could hold onto their workforce and companies could quickly ramp up production once the economy started to recover.

That is why everyone is now copying them. Sometimes spending money can save money.

If an airline turns its planes into saucepans to pay off the creditors then it will take years to get back its capacity.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              I think bankruptcy rules and laws have changed a lot since then.
              Indeed Lehman Bro's worked out well.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                I prefer to judge you on whether you keep your word - which you did not and even pretend as if it never happaned
                Source?

Ah you can't find it... strange that. Almost like it was made up.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

The alternative is to throw 30% of the population out of work and give them nothing.

Would you be happier with a lower tax rate and no job ?

The alternative is far far better than keeping failed businesses on life support. The FED is not an economy.

One word: Iceland.

They took the medicine back in 08 and are now far better for it.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    The alternative is far far better than keeping failed businesses on life support. The FED is not an economy.

One word: Iceland.

They took the medicine back in 08 and are now far better for it.
                    The Icelanders who lost their savings may beg to differ.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

The German government was the only one to introduce a furlough scheme during the last recession, which is what everyone is criticising and their debt went down faster than everyone else. That's because companies could hold onto their workforce and companies could quickly ramp up production once the economy started to recover.

That is why everyone is now copying them. Sometimes spending money can save money.

If an airline turns its planes into saucepans to pay off the creditors then it will take years to get back its capacity.
                      Germany had budget surplus for a long time, and more importantly they dealt with the virus very well - so furlough won’t have to run as long, where as in the UK half arsed “lockdown” still shows 10 times more positives than even Italy

Once it became clear lockdown is needed the only correct strategy was to go all in for it - very strict, that would have saved months (tens of billions in furlough) and countless lives - and now moronic Govt here is trying to reopen too soon, we are fecked with these morons
                      Last edited by AtW; 10 June 2020, 13:57.

Comment

Working...
                      X