• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

stock market crash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your instincts may be doing you more justice than you know.

Very few contrarians amongst us when bull markets only know one direction. As Buffet says, sell when others are greedy, buy when there's blood on the streets.

Stock markets are being pumped by national banks rather than individuals. They don't care if a 50%+ correction happens, in the long run they've converted thin air into real assets. They just need to sit it out, and they are not limited by human lifespans, so they can afford to sit it out. You and I can not.

Only a year ago S&P 500 was largely pushed up by millions of investors, now it is just a handful of national banks. It is truly incredible now little attention this is receiving.

There's an old saying, you can make a little bit of money from things that make sense and a lot from those that don't. Right now the market makes no sense whatsoever. Huge debts, wonky scales of economy, trade wars looming, & National banks converting thin air into real assets.

New asset classes will benefit a lot from the downturn, whenever it happens.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      Your instincts may be doing you more justice than you know.

Very few contrarians amongst us when bull markets only know one direction. As Buffet says, sell when others are greedy, buy when there's blood on the streets.

Stock markets are being pumped by national banks rather than individuals. They don't care if a 50%+ correction happens, in the long run they've converted thin air into real assets. They just need to sit it out, and they are not limited by human lifespans, so they can afford to sit it out. You and I can not.

Only a year ago S&P 500 was largely pushed up by millions of investors, now it is just a handful of national banks. It is truly incredible now little attention this is receiving.

There's an old saying, you can make a little bit of money from things that make sense and a lot from those that don't. Right now the market makes no sense whatsoever. Huge debts, wonky scales of economy, trade wars looming, & National banks converting thin air into real assets.

New asset classes will benefit a lot from the downturn, whenever it happens.
      After reading your 'Swiss' post earlier, I found that;

Swiss national bank earned $20 Billion in dividends in 2016 - and the figures indicate they only have $88 Billion in equities invested? Very good ROI imo.

It also said they had $640 Bill in reserves.

Yes, having $3 billion invested in Apple could alter the market IF they chose to sell all assets - but it's quite unlikely, given the ROI previously achieved...

Ps. Can you get screencaps of the holdings of the other national banks you stated, as currently I don't believe they are invested in direct equities like the Swiss, the Swiss are the exception, not the rule, until it is proven otherwise.
      Last edited by Bean; 28 August 2018, 11:53. Reason: Added the Ps
      Originally posted by Old Greg
      I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
      ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Giving serious thought to selling my Edinburgh place. A recent valuation put it at £450k for a 2-bed flat. That's insane. I could buy a converted farmhouse in Aachen for that.
        From friends in Scotland I understand now is a a great time to sell. House prices are down in many parts of the UK, but in Edinburgh and Glasgow prices are now much higher than the survey price.

Estate agents suggested that 10 to 20% above survey price is now the norm. This is clearly worrying, given the normality of the Scottish economy. With AirBnB taxes surely increasing soon in Edinburgh there has never been a better time to sell in Edinburgh in my opinion. Well above 2007 prices. Fill your boots.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Wouldn't it be worth putting even modest investments on hold until you've paid off your CT debts first?

Two different entities....

Corporation Tax will be paid by the Limited Company, be that a refund from bank in question or future anticipates earnings.

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post

Yes, having $3 billion invested in Apple could alter the market IF they chose to sell all assets - but it's quite unlikely, given the ROI previously achieved...

Ps. Can you get screencaps of the holdings of the other national banks you stated, as currently I don't believe they are invested in direct equities like the Swiss, the Swiss are the exception, not the rule, until it is proven otherwise.
            I'd have not have made the claim otherwise. The information is out there, you just need to look. Japan & Norway central banks are both at it n all. Although Japan mostly buys internal stocks.

Agree, they'll not sell the assets. They don't need to they can ride out the crash.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
              From friends in Scotland I understand now is a a great time to sell. House prices are down in many parts of the UK, but in Edinburgh and Glasgow prices are now much higher than the survey price.

Estate agents suggested that 10 to 20% above survey price is now the norm. This is clearly worrying, given the normality of the Scottish economy. With AirBnB taxes surely increasing soon in Edinburgh there has never been a better time to sell in Edinburgh in my opinion. Well above 2007 prices. Fill your boots.
              Agreed.

This place is very close to ours, it is even smaller not to mention in the basement! Mad - o/o £450k

https://espc.com/property/30a-eglint...116?sid=619795

Comment

I'd have not have made the claim otherwise. The information is out there, you just need to look. Japan & Norway central banks are both at it n all. Although Japan mostly buys internal stocks.

Agree, they'll not sell the assets. They don't need to they can ride out the crash.

Wouldn't they also pump in new 'printed' money to stave off a crash? Maybe this is what Gordon Brown meant when he said no more boom and bust. A magic money tree based economy.

Though there aren't really any assets to hold, just paper value. Only those paying a dividend give any guaranteed return on the investment.
                Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

The continued surge in S&P 500 is fascinating. Fascinating the way it is following a credit fuelled bubble that happened before it in 1929. It is also fascinating because banks at the time printed money like there was no tomorrow, allowed people to borrow like crazy.. but the speed at which the correction occurred, a matter of hours.

You could print some of these stories today!

Original link: https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/l...1/ed-1/seq-21/

Comment

Will the crash arrive just as BTC goes to the moon, meaning Lamborghini go bankrupt, and we all have to settle for a new Dacia Sandero in biege instead?

Comment

Whatever happens, it won't arrive in the form Scooter is chimping himself off over every day.

Comment

Working...
                      X