• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recycling is rubbish

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Huh,I said this weeks ago.

Drive to work
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

xoggy: I can get to it, you can, and a few others, but you need to put a URL to a website for the rest my dear.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Recycling is rubbish

To recycle is crazy for most items.
        It is best to either re-use or buy something with less packaging.

Comment

The thing is that the government mandates the packaging for many articles: i.e. plastic bags for crisps, instead of how they used to be paper, actually creating the problem, and now it is down to the ordinary folks to sort out the problems created.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy
            I’m tempted to ignore you. You might like to look at the post about the declining standards and have a think about your ‘tart’ metaphor.

Looking beyond that the argument isn’t really about recycling it’s about the hyperbole and hype that surrounds it, the nanny state and how some people need to feel guilty. For every person with a reasoned argument there are probably 10, like yourself, who seem to think they know the answers and it is their job to ‘enforce’ the rules and judge others, or a number of ‘consultants’ who made a hell of a lot of money from ill-conceived and inconclusive studies.

You’ve judged me (albeit hidden behind a pathetic ‘metaphor’) and you seem to need to judge those around you. Take care of yourself; take care of what YOU do. What I do is none of your business. If the overuse of ‘shopping bags’ bothers you then DO something about it, start a campaign, start a political party, we do live in a ‘free’ country apparently. Don’t lecture anyone, don’t pretend you have it all sussed. The point Penn & Teller make is that recycling has been a con and the cost of doing outweighs the benefits. It is for the nanny state and people who are silly enough to believe the hype without consideration but want to whinge.

Yes we do have to get rid of waste somehow and the majority of waste decays and degrades quite satisfactorily. There are a number of major distortions nowadays that, if fixed, would deal to the problem - which is a far smaller problem that the scaremongerers claim it to be.

The first step would be to privatise landfills, and require them to be fully user pays. Councils subsidise these and fully subsidise rubbish collection. In some parts of the world, rubbish is only collected from properties if it is in the official rubbish bag (yes people can put smaller ones inside) which is sold at a price to fully recover the cost of collection and landfill use. If everyone had to pay, say £1 to put out rubbish they may think twice. It may mean people put out far more recycling and less rubbish as a result.

The usual counter argument is that fly tipping will increase - well, if you have people who will trash other people's property then the law should step in. It is no reason to fully subsidise dumping rubbish. The fact is this has been done in New Zealand, and there is no more fly tipping than there was before, and landfills no longer cost taxpayers, but make a profit.

Modern landfills can be penalised heavily for leaching or leakage onto neighbouring property and should be. Despite scaremongering, there are plenty of holes for putting rubbish in - remembering rubbish compacts conveniently, once you take away anything organic (only plastics and metals don't, but all food, wood/paper products, fibres do) and crush the air out of things. If you have to ship rubbish further afield to do so, then it is an added cost that you pay when putting rubbish out. If it needs to go to the Sahara to be buried under sand, then so be it. The idea the planet is lacking places to put stuff is so naive - most of Siberia is empty. All of the rubbish for the next five hundred years in the US could fit into a 35 square mile area 200 feet high - the EU would be about the same - hardly a major problem. Think of disused mine shafts (properly sealed) as another possibility.

To say "cost effective or not" we need to do it, is remarkably arrogant. So other people should pay to recycle material that costs more to recycle than produce the raw product? Besides metals, which people willingly recycle (cars and planes are mostly recycled), glass is made from cheap commodities (sand!), paper is entirely renewable and biodegradable, and plastics are cheaper to produce raw than to recover, ship, clean, melt and reuse.

It is an enormous waste of resources to make people pay to do something that is less efficient than the alternative. If recycling was better, it wouldn't need subsidisation. It is about making people feel good, not about a better use of resources.
            Have aliens abducted Lucy?...far too serious post for a female
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll
              Have aliens abducted Lucy?...far too serious post for a female
              And too short as well.

Comment

Illustrates my point perfectly.

Some 'men' here just cannot cope with a woman who knows how to argue logically or sensibly, it ends in insults...

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy
                  Illustrates my point perfectly.

Some 'men' here just cannot cope with a woman who knows how to argue logically or sensibly, it ends in insults...
                  Are you sure you didn't get your boyfriend to write it for you?
                  How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Apologies for coming back to the point of the thread:

I haven't seen that video clip but I can imagine some of the content. I remember not so long ago there was a report about glass recycling in the UK. The government hit it's targets for glass recycling because the target was for collection, not disposal/reuse of that glass. The majority of the collected glass was then sent to China to be dumped in a landfill...

...allegedly of course!

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Interesting bit about paper mostly coming from trees that are planted specifically to make paper. More recycling of paper means less trees.

I do recycle paper, partly because the council only collect the normal rubbish every fortnight. But the annoying thing is that 99% of the paper I recycle is stuff I didn't want anyway, i.e. junk mail for the most part, but also receipts for things I didn't need to keep, bills that are information only as they're paid by direct debit, and other stuff that could be emailed or made available online only like credit card statements.

Seems to me that if there is an issue, then for paper at least the government should be looking at the source of the problem rather than expecting householders to recycle.
                      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                      X