• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

November Budget - Stop Public sector IR35 rules coming into the Private sector

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Maybe there's a plan B in "IR35 advisement consultancy" to the big companies scared about using contractors.
    The first piece of advice is that this advice is outside IR35.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
      I don’t think you can read anything into that response. It’s simply the Treasury line. It’s what all constituency MPs from the governing party will ask for when replying on technical matters about which they know feck all. Standard practice. Very few will actually write a considered response. You would’ve got a similar response in the past too. That said, it was always a question of when, and not if, and it has been telegraphed in the press, so there must be a reasonable chance that it will come in the AB.
      Yep. Same, potted response (though perhaps a bit more misguidedly pointed from Damian Hinds) from mine two years ago.

TBH, I don't think writing to MP's is the way to tackle this at all, they simply do not grasp the nuances.

Comment

Originally posted by Guesstimator View Post
        TBH, I don't think writing to MP's is the way to tackle this at all, they simply do not grasp the nuances.
        Aside from this and lobbying directly, there isn’t much that can be done, fullstop. I think it helps insofar as they sense a degree of opposition from the number of letters received, particularly letters that don’t follow the lobbying format of an interest group. The Faqqer provided an analogy earlier in this thread, I think. Any savvy politician will think twice if there’s an unusually high degree of opposition to something, but the Tories have shown themselves to be pretty tin eared, and the Chancellor, in particular.

Comment

Originally posted by Guesstimator View Post
          Yep. Same, potted response (though perhaps a bit more misguidedly pointed from Damian Hinds) from mine two years ago.

When you explain our situation to anyone including MPs you need to think of sectors e.g. engineering where there are very well known skills shortages and where making it difficult to get contractors will directly impact their own lives e.g. trains, electricity. It also helps if that sector complaining about not getting skilled people was recently in the media somewhere particularly a newspaper.

Going on about how you won't be able to work in a bank in London due to living in Edinburgh simply won't cut it with most MPs.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Going on about how you won't be able to work in a bank in London due to living in Edinburgh simply won't cut it with most MPs.

Poor tarbie.

Comment

And this morning we had Karen Bradley on BBC Breakfast talking about increasing our productivity and filling the skills gap in the tech sector buy doubling the amount of visas granted. Yet the same government is killing off it's own tech companies.
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
                And this morning we had Karen Bradley on BBC Breakfast talking about increasing our productivity and filling the skills gap in the tech sector buy doubling the amount of visas granted. Yet the same government is killing off it's own tech companies.
                Well that's always how it was going to pan out wasn't it?

Kill off the flexible workforce in the PS and then cry "Skills shortage!".

Infosys et al must be rubbing their hands together.

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
                  Why aren't we training our young people up with the skills to do the jobs?

Why are UK employers including the public sector so obtuse that they don't realise they can train people up?
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Why aren't we training our young people up with the skills to do the jobs?

Why are UK employers including the public sector so obtuse that they don't realise they can train people up?
                    Training is a high risk long term investment, which requires a lot of effort from both sides.

Most UK businesses ate not high margin enough to do it, the tax system does not encourage employment in the first place

Comment

Just an FYI Vince Cable was in parliament yesterday fighting the cause specifically mentioned IR35. Sounds like someone's been lobbying for us. Bit of a scroll but he's at least respected

Tax Avoidance and Evasion - Hansard Online

Comment

Working...
                      X