• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

3rd world NHS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    CoolCat must be a hypochondriac as he/she seems to spend all their time in hospitals and private clinics around the world.
    Nope.

S/he just happens to have lots of sick relations who live in different countries who are sick due to a mixture of poor genes and poor lifestyle.

Most of my relations can't be fecked to seek healthcare until it's too fecking late in most circumstances as they try and remedy it themselves regardless of what country they live in.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      I suspect it’s actually unfixable. The people and children I know with mental health issues all have utterly dysfunctional families.
      A dysfunctional family would certainly be a risk factor, but that's rather a dismissive attitude. I sincerely hope you and your loved ones never go through the misery of depression, addiction, anxiety, eating disorders, bipolar, schizophrenia, PTSD or similar, all of which affect people from all backgrounds.

Comment

You know sometimes life is tulip.

You may end up with problems no one can solve.

Modern medicine is good but that is as far as it goes.

I do feel for people with all the various conditions but also - you have to play the hand you were dealt - it may be rubbish and you may die young.

But you will all die so try to enjoy it while doing so and stop trying to look for 'everyone else' to make your life better - you may be waiting some time.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post

I do feel for people with all the various conditions but also - you have to play the hand you were dealt - it may be rubbish and you may die young.

But you will all die so try to enjoy it while doing so and stop trying to look for 'everyone else' to make your life better - you may be waiting some time.
          Good. Let's have a crap health service then.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            Good. Let's have a crap health service then.
            I am not saying that - but realistically there is no magic wand to wave to fix all your problems.

Just enjoy what you have as much as you can.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Nope.

S/he just happens to have lots of sick relations who live in different countries who are sick due to a mixture of poor genes and poor lifestyle.

Most of my relations can't be fecked to seek healthcare until it's too fecking late in most circumstances as they try and remedy it themselves regardless of what country they live in.
              No I am old, and had the usual random set of illnesses and accidents, and have lived in lots of places, so have been treated around the world. Together with having had family and friends with various conditions, and visited them in hospital around the world. Bloke working next to me takes ill, I visit him in hospital, I learn a lot about that countries health system just from that, and so on.

"Most of my relations can't be fecked to seek healthcare until it's too fecking late" yes mine too, and the older ones are far too trusting because they were brought up to believe docs know best when often the docs are hiding the fact better treatment is easily available from them (in the NHS).

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                A dysfunctional family would certainly be a risk factor, but that's rather a dismissive attitude. I sincerely hope you and your loved ones never go through the misery of depression, addiction, anxiety, eating disorders, bipolar, schizophrenia, PTSD or similar, all of which affect people from all backgrounds.
                correct, as I said earlier the phyciatric nurses in this country are just as cheesed off at how bad the service is here.

Comment

I am not saying that - but realistically there is no magic wand to wave to fix all your problems.
                  There is, but unfortunately it's illegal in the UK, so unless you want to cause a great deal of hassle for your family and carers, you need to sneak off to Switzerland without anyone knowing.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Yes but I hope when you get those chest pains and are rushed to hospital you happen to be in Italy, or Belgium, or New Zealand or similar where you have a significantly higher chance of promptly getting the heart stent you so badly need. And I know the odds are very high that you will then live decades longer happily. I really dont want this to happen to you in the UK as the odds are rather higher you will be put in a hospital bed for a week and left to die.

Comment

NHS provided care for our son gets worse and worse. It got to crisis point a few weeks ago. Son is a very troubled young man. I tried to contact CAMHS again and they didnt even call me back.

In the end, I got a bit arsey and they had the cheek to tell me its not their problem, I should contact Social Services, the police, and look at my parenting skills! Bearing in mind hes not had a proper diagnosis yet.

In the end, A&E was the only place. Pointless that was. There is no on-call/out of hours psych person available like there would be for an adult. They were nice enough in A&E but best they could do was talk CAMHS into pushing his next appointment forward.

So, paid for consultant adolescent psych. Not so easy to find - ended up having to go to Bristol 40 miles away.£220 a pop so with follow-up its over £400. Obviously, for a contractor its affordable. Fair play it was brilliant - hes got a proper diagnosis, been recommended medication etc.

BUT of course, not everyone can afford this. Scandalous to think of families left high and dry. And to think its common knowledge that teenage suicide is an issue in the UK.

Last few weeks have been a real eye opener to see how bad the NHS is....

Also, too late for this now, but it sort of convinced me to pay for private health insurance now. Don't want to be in same position (Albeit different complaint) with a family member in a few years and find how crap that department is.
                      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X