• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Motorway driving explained

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    Good morning NAT

I don't mind people overtaking, for however long it takes, it's the people who are sat in the outside lane, with ample space in the lane next to them, and stay there and don't move over

Milan.
    That's what your rocket launchers are for.

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    ...Its all going to be pointless when they have finally ruined all the motorways with average speed checks.
    That's what Germany is for.

I was driving up to the Netherlands a few years ago. We stopped at a services, and there was a McLaren F1. We drove off. I was cruising at about 95mph, and I spotted a dot in my rear view mirror approaching extremely rapidly. I was delighted to slow down and pull behind an HGV for the joy of hearing that car shoot past. (On the way back something similar happened with a DB9. Just didn't sound as good).
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      That's what your rocket launchers are for.

That's what Germany is for.

I was driving up to the Netherlands a few years ago. We stopped at a services, and there was a McLaren F1. We drove off. I was cruising at about 95mph, and I spotted a dot in my rear view mirror approaching extremely rapidly. I was delighted to slow down and pull behind an HGV for the joy of hearing that car shoot past. (On the way back something similar happened with a DB9. Just didn't sound as good).
      Ah, that reminds me of the stretch of the A14 just before a bend with a speeding camera on the other side. Always good to block some small-dicked driver in the fast lane at 80 mph for half a mile. Wait until they are right up behind you and flashing lights, then pull over, ease off and watch them speed off round the bend.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        I'd love to know where you guys drive that you can get over an average of 40 mph to do all these fast intimidating manouevres.
        That seems to be the average speed on the M25 these days - and has been for some years.
        I agree you can sometimes get up to 80 mph in the fast lane - but almost any car can do that nowadays.
        Which is why I buy cars for comfort and not speed.
        M3 - though they keep having loads of road works- and parts of M23 - you have to keep your eyes out for the police coming onto junctions behind you.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
          Ah, that reminds me of the stretch of the A14 just before a bend with a speeding camera on the other side. Always good to block some small-dicked driver in the fast lane at 80 mph for half a mile. Wait until they are right up behind you and flashing lights, then pull over, ease off and watch them speed off round the bend.
          I love driving exactly at the speed limit on roads where I know the police frequently appear. I then allow such people to pass me a few yards just before where I know the police are likely to be. It is then amusing to see them speed off then suddenly brake when they notice the police.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            I love driving exactly at the speed limit on roads where I know the police frequently appear. I then allow such people to pass me a few yards just before where I know the police are likely to be. It is then amusing to see them speed off then suddenly brake when they notice the police.
            I don't mean to be cruel but you think you need more sex or perhaps a hobby in your life?

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              If they really bug you, you can always dial 999 and say you don't want to cause alarm but you think the driver may have been waving a gun. But you can't tell because they were driving so erratically, so apologies if it's a false alarm.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                I don't mean to be cruel but you think you need more sex or perhaps a hobby in your life?
                I do mean to be passive aggressive but you think you need more sex or perhaps a hobby in your life?

Comment

I do mean to be passive aggressive but you think you need more sex or perhaps a hobby in your life?
                  yes to both really.

Comment

If they really bug you, you can always dial 999 and say you don't want to cause alarm but you think the driver may have been waving a gun. But you can't tell because they were driving so erratically, so apologies if it's a false alarm.
                    I had a knife waved at me once on the M74 - the two lane bit. He was acting the dick in a convertible Merc, I was doing 70 in whatever I was driving at the time, and via some sort of telepathic ennui this coach driver and managed to box him for about 45 miles.

When we hit the bit were it goes three lanes (heading south) he drew level with me and waved a fecking knife at me, he was well pisssed off. Then sped off into the sunset/M6.

South Asian chap, not that it means anything, just adding a bit of colour to the story....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                      I had a knife waved at me once on the M74 - the two lane bit. He was acting the dick in a convertible Merc, I was doing 70 in whatever I was driving at the time, and via some sort of telepathic ennui this coach driver and managed to box him for about 45 miles.

When we hit the bit were it goes three lanes (heading south) he drew level with me and waved a fecking knife at me, he was well pisssed off. Then sped off into the sunset/M6.

South Asian chap, not that it means anything, just adding a bit of colour to the story....
                      At least it was a knife. Last time I was driving on the M74, another driver had an M74. Glasgow in the springtime!

Comment

Working...
                      X