• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Catalonia

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Scotland, as Catalonia, need the entire country to agree either directly, or indirectly though their government representatives, in Scotlands case it was the Scottish Independence Referendum Act 2013 which allowed sections of the Scotland Act 1998 to be bypassed which ordinarily reserves constitutional matters to Westminster.
    When were we (the UK) asked if we wanted to allow the referendum? - we weren't, it was the gov - after public support and regional governmental (SNP) vote/support
    (now, there is no public support, so the SNP have put Indy#2 on hold)

The Catalan regional & public support it, but Spain refuse to allow it - so what process do they have left available to them?

Answers on a postcard.
    Originally posted by Old Greg
    I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
    ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
      When were we (the UK) asked if we wanted to allow the referendum? - we weren't, it was the gov - after public support and regional governmental (SNP) vote/support
      (now, there is no public support, so the SNP have put Indy#2 on hold)

The Catalan regional & public support it, but Spain refuse to allow it - so what process do they have left available to them?

Answers on a postcard.

The Catalans only option is to try and gather enough NATIONAL support to affect change to a NATIONAL constitution (which they agreed to in 1978), which I would assume they know they cannot do so it seems they are tulip outta luck.
      Old Greg seems to think that they can just declare independence, but I doubt that anyone will be that stupid
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
        It is in no way easy. But new states do from time to time successfully secede against the will of the country they are leaving.
        http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Old Greg seems to think that they can just declare independence, but I doubt that anyone will be that stupid
          But then you don't understand that governments don't make laws.

Comment

Well the Regional gov want to talk 1st (with a stronger hand now I suppose);
            Who moves next?

but
            given they will outright refuse a legally binding ref - i'm inclined to agree that they will just unilaterally do it (after 'talks' break down)
            Originally posted by Old Greg
            I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
            ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
              Well the Regional gov want to talk 1st (with a stronger hand now I suppose);
              Who moves next?

but
              given they will outright refuse a legally binding ref - i'm inclined to agree that they will just unilaterally do it (after 'talks' break down)
              I hope the Catalan Parliament has the moral courage to hold a confirmatory referendum with international observers, but they may not. And of course, Spain may just send in the paramilitaries again.

Comment

I hope the Catalan Parliament has the moral courage to hold a confirmatory referendum with international observers, but they may not. And of course, Spain may just send in the paramilitaries again.
                The only observers they are getting are from Scotland.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  The only observers they are getting are from Scotland.
                  Can I have a borrow of your crystal ball when you're finished with it?

Comment

Can I have a borrow of your crystal ball when you're finished with it?
                    Sorry most of the current international observers who were vocal were Scottish.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      Sorry most of the current international observers who were vocal were Scottish.
                      Did you see them on the telly news?

Comment

Working...
                      X