• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Biztalk - rant of the day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Business Analyst. Development is being done by a very expensive consultancy company well known in the Biztalk field.

Me "The majority of the data is in XL and is automatically exported to file folders ready for Microsoft Biztalk to consume it."
    Them "We can't consume it. You will have to employ someone to sit all day and open XL files and save them as CSV"
    Me "Use a custom or 3rd party pipeline?"
    Them "No. We won't. It's your fault for using horrible proprietary files from Microsoft. You see Microsoft products can't deal with Microsoft file formats. "

Comment

BizTalk itself is not exactly cheap, and you probably need SQL server to run it - at least we did when I used Biztalk 2002 - nice idea, but poorly implemented at the time, clearly never used for serious tasks - had to work around a lot of stuff.

HTH

Comment

This is 2006 edition. Yes it is pricey and yes you need a SQL 2000 or 2005 backend too. It is also sucky and can't cope with Microsoft file formats.

It's not like many companies have data and data exports to XL files is it?

Comment

Does not matter - Biztalk is good on your CV and it is so sh1t that companies will pay top dollar for it - I still get people calling me for Biztalk contracts after finding my CV on, errr, Google - but my memories of Biztalk are so bad that I ain't going for it

Comment

That definately comes under the header of piss poor performance on their part then!!!!

Comment

Apologies for resurrecting such an old thread.

I've been playing around with Biztalk on and off for a couple of years and am just about to embark on a Biztalk bootcamp. I've been an e*Gate developer for about 5 years but the contracts have been drying up and it looks like there's plenty of Biztalk opportunities out there.

Having seen the negative comments about biztalk I was wondering what integration engines/technologies you would recommend, considering rates, learning curve and contract opportunities.

Comment

Originally posted by hunterm
                Apologies for resurrecting such an old thread.

I've been playing around with Biztalk on and off for a couple of years and am just about to embark on a Biztalk bootcamp. I've been an e*Gate developer for about 5 years but the contracts have been drying up and it looks like there's plenty of Biztalk opportunities out there.

Having seen the negative comments about biztalk I was wondering what integration engines/technologies you would recommend, considering rates, learning curve and contract opportunities.
                OMG eGate, thats a blast from the DotCom Crash past.

Go for IBM TX, it's far far better than BizTalk and IBM are ramping it up by merging it with Websphere IB which is tulipe and they can't get rid of it so they're just gonna merge it with TX.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
                  [biztalk] What a crock.
                  that took you a while...

Comment

Pah, Biztalk, a good Perl monkey could do the ETL better
                    Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Working...
                    X