• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Blair 'sorrow' over slave trade

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You would think that there were never any white slaves....

Comment

There was a proponent of financial compensation to descendants of slaves on the radio this morning. Jim Naughtie put it to her that if her cause was worthy of financial compensation why not seek compensation from the Norwegian government for the descendants of people terrorised, kidnapped and enslaved by the Vikings. She said that he was seeking to trivialise the argument and clearly did not understand the issues being a white man. He let the point slide rather unfortunately.
      I'm Spartacus.

Comment

How about we all just swap some money around?
        I'm Spartacus.

Comment

I think it's a great idea

Aren't you ashamed of yourselves, not feeling guilty about slavery?
          I believe we should make full reparations. Give 'em £100 each and repatriate everybody who isn't white.

(DG in 'why is Tony recruiting for the BNP?' mode)
          Why not?

Comment

It sounds like this black chick (sic) has put race relations back about 50 years! Silly cow.

Comment

Slavery had been 'profoundly shameful', Mr Blair said. Prime Minister Tony Blair has said he feels "deep sorrow" for Britain's role in the slave trade.
              What's the difference between sorrow and deep sorrow ?

Comment

This is the same argument that's being used in Australia (and NZ, too?) for the land claims and "stolen generation". It's been proven to work there, so it's being used here and will presumably have the same result.

Comment

how can it work here??

If you go back far enough all of the land in this country was originally owned by white people....

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
                    how can it work here??

If you go back far enough all of the land in this country was originally owned by white people....
                    Easy. Don't go that far back. Just go as far back as you want for your claim, and ignore all earlier facts as irrelevant.

Comment

Originally posted by expat
                      Easy. Don't go that far back. Just go as far back as you want for your claim, and ignore all earlier facts as irrelevant.
                      Either way I don't belive there was a time in this country when large amounts of land was confiscated from black people and given to white people. A claim like that couldn't work in the UK.

Comment

Working...
                      X