• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Halal tulipe food

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    So long as the meat is stunned first, whatever really.
    My understanding is that the animal is not stunned in the procurement of halal meat and to me that is cruel, unnecessary and inexcusable. Maybe someone can correct me if I am wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      Quite agree. Harmless cultural practices are fine, too much fuss over the Muslim veil IMO, but some things are not acceptable and religion should not be a getout. Non religious people may be equally convinced that their practices are right but they are not handed these exceptions.
      There should be no room for any religious exclusions in law. It's total bollocks and we all know it.

Want to skirt around animal rights - I'm a muslim/jew
      Don't want to grass up your paedo mate - I'm catholic
      Don't want to stop at red lights - I'm a jedi

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        Indeed.
        Unless all the people who profess to be outraged by halal spend extra money on e.g. free-range chickens, eggs and ham from pigs allowed to roam, they're simply being hypocrites, or worse.
        Maybe there's a trade-off where only free range animals can have a non-stunned slaughter.

As a vegetarian, I find this whole thing nuts, but there you go - tolerance and compromise.

Comment

Flippin' heck - there was me prepared to close this thread, when thoughtful and considered debate broke out.

Did someone call out 'Rugby Rules!' while I was gone?
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
            Seems that you're selectively reading posts before responding.

Let me repeat:
            My problem is around the forced decision to feed all children Halal meat in my kid's school. I don't care if you eat Halal or not; I care that my child is not being allowed a choice of non-Halal meat alongside the Halal option.

And if it isn't a problem, then why label the meat at all? Can't you just accept that the label says "chicken with rice". Does it HAVE to say "Halal chicken with rice" ?
            Market forces dictate that, obviously there is no competitive market for purely non-halal meat because most of us don't care.

Comment

Originally posted by ContractorOnAMotorbike View Post
              My understanding is that the animal is not stunned in the procurement of halal meat and to me that is cruel, unnecessary and inexcusable. Maybe someone can correct me if I am wrong.
              http://fournews-assets-prod-s3b-ew1-..._slaughter.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by deebeegee View Post
                There should be no room for any religious exclusions in law. It's total bollocks and we all know it.

Want to skirt around animal rights - I'm a muslim/jew
                Don't want to grass up your paedo mate - I'm catholic
                Don't want to stop at red lights - I'm a jedi
                No we don't.

Comment

It is stunned. They read it the results of the Brexit referendum and there it is, stunned. Then it's so depressed it wants to die anyway so win-win...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                    Flippin' heck - there was me prepared to close this thread, when thoughtful and considered debate broke out.

Did someone call out 'Rugby Rules!' while I was gone?
                    Are you startin'?

Comment

FFS. Read the fooking thread.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X