• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Halal tulipe food

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
    What by posting a link to a BBC article with the emotive headline "Lancashire council leader accused of halal meat 'crusade'"? Which instantly conveys the false impression he's a frothing at the mouth muzzie basher.

Jeez....
    Don't forget the Christian implication in 'crusade'.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
      Seems that you're selectively reading posts before responding.

Let me repeat:
      My problem is around the forced decision to feed all children Halal meat in my kid's school. I don't care if you eat Halal or not; I care that my child is not being allowed a choice of non-Halal meat alongside the Halal option.

And if it isn't a problem, then why label the meat at all? Can't you just accept that the label says "chicken with rice". Does it HAVE to say "Halal chicken with rice" ?
      My work canteen labels dishes that are vegetarian but I don't see anyone objecting to the labelling. It could just say 'macaroni cheese' instead of 'macaroni cheese (vegetarian)'.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
        Wasn't it this 20% (you've identified) that the objection is about?
        Killing animals is not very nice anyway and there is no excuse for not doing it as humanely as possible.
        SO yes there should be a law that all animals are pre-stunned.
        But the chances are that any halal meat you eat has been pre-stunned - perhaps halal that hasn't should be labelled as such.
        Then the OP who started this thread can have no objections if his son's school sources pre-stunned halal meat?
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          Killing animals is not very nice anyway and there is no excuse for not doing it as humanely as possible.
          SO yes there should be a law that all animals are pre-stunned.
          But the chances are that any halal meat you eat has been pre-stunned - perhaps halal that hasn't should be labelled as such.
          Then the OP who started this thread can have no objections if his son's school sources pre-stunned halal meat?
          Yes to the labelling, and I feel OP's objections still would stand based on my reason previously posted (about religious influence in school where it's not official policy).

Comment

Yes to the labelling, and I feel OP's objections still would stand based on my reason previously posted (about religious influence in school where it's not official policy).
            Well if the school contains Muslims then getting pre-stunned Halal meat would cater for them and shouldn't bother non-Muslims at all, since there is no difference between halal and traditional British "sticking" (possibly give or take an incantation or two).

But I suspect that common sense doesn't really gel with the faux outrage that some would like to portray.
            Last edited by sasguru; 21 September 2017, 10:18.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

This I agree with - if the school is not religious then there should be no religious influence what so ever in the running of the school.

On the flip side of that it just increases segregation so not a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                Well if the school contains Muslims then getting pre-stunned Halal meat would cater for them and shouldn't bother non-Muslims at all, since there is no difference between halal and traditional British "sticking" (possibly give or take an incantation or two).

But I suspect that common sense doesn't really gel with the faux outrage that some would like to portray.
                Well... apparently pre-stunned does bother those who listen to the Lancahire Council of Mosques. Of course, these kids could always eat the vegetarian option. It's not like they'll starve.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                  This I agree with - if the school is not religious then there should be no religious influence what so ever in the running of the school.

Has it occurred to you the school just buys the cheapest produce? And as it happens to be pre-stunned Halal meat that's what they buy.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post

Well you should be campaigning immediately on:

http://humanism.org.uk/education/par...s-your-rights/

The law in England and Wales
                    The most recent legal statement of the requirements for collective worship (as distinct from assembly) are contained in the School Standards and Framework Act 1998. These build on similar requirements in Section 346 of the Education Act 1996, the Education Reform Act 1988, and Section 25 of the 1944 Education Act, where the law on compulsory collective worship began. Section 70 of the 1998 Act states that, subject to the parental right of excusal or other special arrangements, “…each pupil in attendance at a community, foundation or voluntary school shall on each school day take part in an act of collective worship.”

Schedule 20 to the 1998 Act gives more detailed information on the worship requirements. It notes the different practical arrangements that are allowed: “a single act of worship for all pupils or separate acts of worship for pupils in different age groups or in different school groups.” A “school group” is defined as “any group in which pupils are taught or take part in other school activities”.

In community schools the head teacher is responsible for collective worship provision, in consultation with the governors. The majority of acts of collective worship in any given school term should still be “wholly or mainly of a broadly Christian character”. In other acts of worship, consideration should be given to “circumstances relating to the family backgrounds of the pupils which are relevant for determining the character of the collective worship which is appropriate in their case” and to the “ages and aptitudes” of the pupils.

A “broadly Christian” act of worship must contain some elements which relate to the traditions of Christian belief and which accord a special status to Jesus Christ. (Circular 1/94, paragraph 63). Only on special occasions can the act of worship take place somewhere other than on the school premises, subject to the agreement of the head.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                      Well... apparently pre-stunned does bother those who listen to the Lancahire Council of Mosques. Of course, these kids could always eat the vegetarian option. It's not like they'll starve.
                      Quite. Tolerance of other cultures should stop at the inhumane treatment of animals.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X