• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Projet Angscht oder Welt Dominatioun

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Consistently right.
    You'd be the first.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
      I think the argument to leave is a sound one, though pointless going over it as the argument had been won. If you think eu won't trade with us then I think you are daft.

If they put tariffs on their goods then I'm sure someone else will sell it cheaper to us.

If they put barriers up on services then their loss, they either pay more or find another provider not as good as the UK.
      I did not say the EU wont trade with us, and I am not predicting a trade armageddon like some remoaners, I just don't believe that post Brexit there is any evidence that by not being in the EU we will have more trade because of EU restrictions. Perfectly happy to be proved wrong if you can give an example of how pre and post Brexit trade would change to the UK advantage as a result of not having EU regulations, the only one we have had so far is Chlorinated Chicken from the USA and that in many peoples opinion seems to make the case a lot weaker.
      Warning unicorn meat may give you hallucinations

Comment

That suggests you're a bottom feeder whose skills aren't in much demand.
        Not world class in other words.
        It amazes me that the least gifted assume that things will simply carry on as before.
        It amazes me that a founding member of cretinwatch is amazed by the assumptions of the least gifted.

Comment

Originally posted by motoukenin View Post
          I did not say the EU wont trade with us,
          Nobody did. They are just strawmanning to justify their screw-up.

Comment

Originally posted by motoukenin View Post
            I did not say the EU wont trade with us, and I am not predicting a trade armageddon like some remoaners, I just don't believe that post Brexit there is any evidence that by not being in the EU we will have more trade because of EU restrictions. Perfectly happy to be proved wrong if you can give an example of how pre and post Brexit trade would change to the UK advantage as a result of not having EU regulations, the only one we have had so far is Chlorinated Chicken from the USA and that in many peoples opinion seems to make the case a lot weaker.
            A friend of mine just returned from the US so I put one of the assertions to the test that in the EU everything is far more expensive than it should be because of their protectionist approach. He told me the US was more expensive. I know for a fact that Norway, Switzerland and Japan are more expensive than the EU, so I doubt very much that all these billions of savings are going to materialise.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
              The UK joined the EU with one foot instead of two, Brexit was a question of time.
              Just to be pedantic, the UK joined the EEC, which over time morphed into the EU. Successive governments surrendered power to the EU without consulting the people, and the people blindly went along with this because they couldn't actually see the consequences in their daily lives. Then Bliar opened our doors to the whole of Europe, reckoning on only a few thousand coming, in reality it was well over a million, and Brexit is the ultimate result.
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

That suggests you're a bottom feeder whose skills aren't in much demand.
                Not world class in other words.

It amazes me that the least gifted assume that things will simply carry on as before.
                Judging me by your standards, of course...

What it actually suggests is after years of living from a suitcase and eating hotel food every night in the UK, I had little desire to repeat the experience in a foreign land, although there may have been some novelty value for a while. I prefer to be close to home (or WFH) these days, which suits me just fine.
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                  Just to be pedantic, the UK joined the EEC, which over time morphed into the EU. Successive governments surrendered power to the EU without consulting the people, and the people blindly went along with this because they couldn't actually see the consequences in their daily lives. Then Bliar opened our doors to the whole of Europe, reckoning on only a few thousand coming, in reality it was well over a million, and Brexit is the ultimate result.
                  Another way of viewing this is that Brexit is the ultimate result of falling educational standards, alongside decades of tabloid propaganda emanating from super-rich class.

Which reminds me. I bumped into a friend in town the other day, and his Dad was visiting (Ireland). He is 75 and it is the first time he has left England. Guess whether he voted Remain or Leave.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                    Another way of viewing this is that Brexit is the ultimate result of falling educational standards, alongside decades of tabloid propaganda emanating from super-rich class.

Which reminds me. I bumped into a friend in town the other day, and his Dad was visiting (Ireland). He is 75 and it is the first time he has left England. Guess whether he voted Remain or Leave.
                    You could very well be right, people voted to leave for varying reasons and I'm sure the Wail et al had quite an affect on the under-educated masses.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                      Just want to point out that the UK didn't hand over any power at all as it opted out of all the so called "power grabs". The key "power grab" was the single currency. Apart from the single currency the most noticeable change is the transfer of power from the Commission to the European Parliament which in any case is pretty limited. It was the UK which unilaterally decided to allow all the Eastern Europeans in.

Interestingly Switzerland has handed more power over to the EU than the UK has, which is an omen as it is now clear that far from regaining control, the UK will be "pushed" into the EEA and will have less power than it had in the EU, swallowing new regulations whilst having no possibility to block them or opt out using its veto, which it frequently used, to "blackmail" the EU. The UK government is already talking about "piggy backing" onto the EU-Japan trade deal, which means the EU hammers out the deal and the UK swallows it hook line and sinker without any influence.
                      Last edited by BlasterBates; 14 September 2017, 11:40.
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X