• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Saving more on VAT and corporation tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cojak View Post
    I'm not inclined to move this thread.
    I thought it had been moved.

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
      I hope you're not using 20% as your FRS rate. If you're a contractor then you'll be using the 13.5% FRS rate. If you have much in the way of expenses (and expenses are the only way to reduce your CT and VAT bills) then you're best on standard VAT, not Flat Rate VAT.
      16.5% from April 2017 - I suspect the OP doesn't do a lot of buying products for resale.

If you really, really want to not pay any VAT or CT then...

1. De-register from VAT. By not charging VAT, you don't have to pay any over to HMRC.
      2. Run YourCo at a loss. By not making a profit, you won't have to any any CT over to HMRC.

1. is only possible if your turnover is low. 2. means you have to extract funds by PAYE as you have to have sufficient funds in your reserves or else any dividends will be illegal.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        Come to Ireland, CT is 13%.
        No that can't be right. If the UK were to lower its Corp Tax rate it would become some sort of dirty tax haven for crooks and millionaires. It would also be "unfair". I know this because a Remainer told me. It seemed such an awful prospect, I can't believe that anywhere in the EU has a Corp Tax rate lower than 19%.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...britain-brexit

Comment

I think the first year of trading you get a discount in VAT but with all the recent changes, there are no VAT savings to be had. In any case, it was never a means to make some money.

With regards to Corp tax, if you show a loss, you wont have to pay any. It is upto you to determine how to make a loss on your business. Very likely you will be investigated, only the mega corporates like Google and Starbucks are allowed to indulge in that kind of dodgy accounting.
          Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            16.5% from April 2017 - I suspect the OP doesn't do a lot of buying products for resale.

If you really, really want to not pay any VAT or CT then...

1. De-register from VAT. By not charging VAT, you don't have to pay any over to HMRC.
            2. Run YourCo at a loss. By not making a profit, you won't have to any any CT over to HMRC.

1. is only possible if your turnover is low. 2. means you have to extract funds by PAYE as you have to have sufficient funds in your reserves or else any dividends will be illegal.

HTH
            thanks i am just an engineer working for a company on ltd company basis...
            i generally skip quite a few expenses as keep a record is a mammoth task for me...i take it expenses should save me both VAT and CT...

question: does client submit record and details of their payees to HMRC who they pay HMRC and how much they have paid...!! thanks..
            Last edited by abc111; 11 September 2017, 14:50.

Comment

Originally posted by abc111 View Post
              i generally skip quite a few expenses as keep a record is a mammoth task for me...i take it expenses should save me both VAT and CT...
              What does your board of directors say?

Comment

question: does client submit record and details of their payees to HMRC who they pay HMRC and how much they have paid...!! thanks..
                Oh dear...

Go back to permanent employment if you can't be bothered to keep records.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by PhiltheGreek View Post
                  What does your board of directors say?
                  sole director -me.

Comment

No. An agency would though.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

sole director -me.
                      I thought you might say that. You are comprehensively f*cked.

They just send your staff pass picture to make sure HMRC know who the record is for.

Comment

Working...
                      X