• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ignoring economics.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It seems the main thing to come out of this thread is that leaving the EU has given a voice to the negative, depressive people on here.

So far, its seems the concerns are...

1. Employment rights.
    2. Government focus on Brexit and not on other important issues.
    3. Make it harder for EU nationals to come to the UK.
    4. Reduce the variety of goods.
    5. Stuck with Westminster government elite rather than EU elite.

So...
    1. Can't see this being affected much, much of employment law etc are now part of case law etc. If anything the EU seems to be making it easier to hire/fire and lowering wages to become more economic.
    2. I'm sure they can focus on more than one thing at a time.
    3. But they can still come, I hope some kind of points system is implemented so we can get highly skilled people. But the whole migration issue needs to be tackled not just the EU.
    4. EU will still sell to the UK, even with tariffs. If anything goods from outside of the EU will be cheaper.
    5. Rock and hard place.

Comment

Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
      And I suspect you should check your facts. Independently wealthy, his family wealth came from mining (owning mines, not working in them). The guy is a ******* fop who's never done a days work in his life. North East Somerset was created in 2010, when he won it. Apart from that he had been beaten twice - both times by Labour.

"At the 1997 general election, Rees-Mogg was the Conservative candidate for the traditional Labour seat of Central Fife and attracted ridicule, after canvassing a largely working-class neighbourhood with his former nanny;[9] on election night he came third, gaining 9% of the votes cast,[15] slightly fewer than half of the votes won by the previous Conservative candidate in 1992. However, rumours that he had toured the constituency in a Bentley were described as "scurrilous" − he insisted it had been a Mercedes.[16]"
      Be nice.

Mal didn't realise that Rees-Mogg was an old Etonian.

And as we know everyone can go to Eton...
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Be nice.

I think Reese-Mogg recently was awarded around £6M of tax-payers money to do up his listed little house in the country.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post

2. Government focus on Brexit and not on other important issues. ...
          That's actually a benefit. Usually when the inveterate busybodies focus on "important issues" they feck these up even more, such as encouraging people to buy diesel vehicles only a few years ago.

I wonder if it ever occurs to Remainers that all this complexity claimed to be involved in the negotiations is in itself a damning indictment of the EU, because it shows just how pervasively and prodigiously EU laws have wormed their way into our national life over the time we've been in it.

Like that ivy covered house for sale in Cornwall, we can soon start hacking away 40 years of thick legal undergrowth!

2017-08-25 Three-bed house with stunning harbour views goes on sale in Cornwall for just £55k, but there's just one snag...
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Be nice.

Unlike you lot I have met the guy - he was my last constituency MP and we were meeting about a couple of contractor-related issues such as PS IR35 changes - and he came across as both honest and intelligent, unlike some other MPs I've dealt with, and well informed on the subject at hand. He could, of course, simply be a consummate actor.

Yes, he is an old Etonian and a Cambridge graduate. He was also a freelance stockbroker for many years which is where his personal money came from and he went into politics at the end of that career. So we may assume he understands working for a living, self-employment and some other things relevant to the rest of us here. Unlike a lot of career politicians.

So, your point is?
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              Unlike you lot I have met the guy - he was my last constituency MP and we were meeting about a couple of contractor-related issues such as PS IR35 changes - and he came across as both honest and intelligent, unlike some other MPs I've dealt with, and well informed on the subject at hand. He could, of course, simply be a consummate actor.

Yes, he is an old Etonian and a Cambridge graduate. He was also a freelance stockbroker for many years which is where his personal money came from and he went into politics at the end of that career. So we may assume he understands working for a living, self-employment and some other things relevant to the rest of us here. Unlike a lot of career politicians.

So, your point is?
              My point is could you become an independent stock broker without his family connections and money ? I very much doubt it. And yes, he is a consummate actor. As the actions of the current gov have shown they don't give a tulip about us. They just want more tax. As for ignoring economics how do you feel about the Eurozone growing at twice the rate the UK is ?

Comment

[QUOTE=woohoo;2465574]
                1. Can't see this being affected much, much of employment law etc are now part of case law etc. If anything the EU seems to be making

4. EU will still sell to the UK, even with tariffs. If anything goods from outside of the EU will be cheaper.
                QUOTE]

The danger with 1 is that the gov is trying to stifle scrutiny and is trying to pass a law saying they will keep existing laws but may remove then whenever they want. Companies will lobby for rights to be removed and there must be a mechanism to stop them.

For 4 if goods outside the EU will be cheaper why aren't they now ? We buy lots of stuff from outside already ?

Comment

It seems the main thing to come out of this thread is that leaving the EU has given a voice to the negative, depressive people on here.

So far, its seems the concerns are...

1. Employment rights.
                  2. Government focus on Brexit and not on other important issues.
                  3. Make it harder for EU nationals to come to the UK.
                  4. Reduce the variety of goods.
                  5. Stuck with Westminster government elite rather than EU elite.

So...
                  1. Can't see this being affected much, much of employment law etc are now part of case law etc. If anything the EU seems to be making it easier to hire/fire and lowering wages to become more economic.
                  2. I'm sure they can focus on more than one thing at a time.
                  3. But they can still come, I hope some kind of points system is implemented so we can get highly skilled people. But the whole migration issue needs to be tackled not just the EU.
                  5. Rock and hard place.
                  1. Case law doesn't take precedent over a new explicit law
                  2. Doesn't seem to be the case, Southern is in shambles, NHS is going strongly and stably downhill, no new runway decision, pension pots are being pilfered by corporations left, right and center. No significant effort building more new homes has been made. Pound value is going to the toilet and there are no signs of efforts to contain it. Instead it's all being blamed on Brexit/EU
                  3. I assume you have never had an involvement in points based immigration scheme and Government bureaucracy surrounding it. I would the highly praised skilled labor want to be involved in any of it when they can freely move to any other EU country? This is of course ignoring the fact that there is plenty need for unskilled/low skilled labor in construction/hospitality.
                  4. Major corporation will likely keep selling to the UK, many smaller companies will find it uneconomical to involve themselves with managing customs clearing processes and will simply stop selling to the UK. For others the price hike will drive customers away so they will eventually quit bothering with all the tulip. So start looking forward cheap poorly regulated low quality/hazardous products from the likes of US and Africa as substitutes.
                  5. With the EU elite, there is some form of "sanity" check from our own government and all the other countries. With the UK elite we are stuck with home grown lunatics with delusions of grandeur.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    There are some positives to Brexit and becoming the poor man of Europe - travel to Europe will become a perk of the rich since the average person won't be able to afford it.
                    There's a good British investment for your portfolio: Butlins.
                    I suspect for the wealthy, Brexit won't be too bad.
                    You really are a colossal
                    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

[QUOTE=radish2008;2465594]
                      1. Can't see this being affected much, much of employment law etc are now part of case law etc. If anything the EU seems to be making

QUOTE]

The danger with 1 is that the gov is trying to stifle scrutiny and is trying to pass a law saying they will keep existing laws but may remove then whenever they want. Companies will lobby for rights to be removed and there must be a mechanism to stop them.

For 4 if goods outside the EU will be cheaper why aren't they now ? We buy lots of stuff from outside already ?
                      EU law is part of case law would be unusual for Judges to replace with new law. But I take your point, I just don't think it's likely to change much.

We are part of a custom union, so (some)companies outside of the EU that sell in to the UK have to pay tariffs to have the pleasure of say selling their wine to us.

Comment

Working...
                      X