• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why you guys don't rule the world anymore

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I take it you are an Ossie then Lucy

Comment

Born in HK actually.

I have spent a bit of time in Australia though.

Comment

In that case you are now Comedy Lucy

Comment

???

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy
            Australia has an enormous focus locally, it has to.

Umm, well, there is incredible poverty in the UK too. What are you doing about that ?

You might have lived there but you obviously didn't read a newspaper.
            Yeah .. right apart from the Age & SMH etc. Australia, for good reasons maybe, keeps its "distance" from its neighbours. Occassionally fly's in the troops to keep the natives in order.

My argument is that GB works more with its immediate neighbours than Aussie does. PNG is only 50 miles away from cape York/Torres but the economic gulf is massive. One day this will catch up with Australia

As for poverty, yes all countrys have it. But what exactly is the life expectancy of an Aboriginal Male in Australia? Somewhere around 45yo i believe. The absolute poverty i've seen in australia over the years, especially in outback NT & WA has no equivalent in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Hart-floot
              Yeah .. right apart from the Age & SMH etc. Australia, for good reasons maybe, keeps its "distance" from its neighbours. Occassionally fly's in the troops to keep the natives in order.

My argument is that GB works more with its immediate neighbours than Aussie does. PNG is only 50 miles away from cape York/Torres but the economic gulf is massive. One day this will catch up with Australia

As for poverty, yes all countrys have it. But what exactly is the life expectancy of an Aboriginal Male in Australia? Somewhere around 45yo i believe. The absolute poverty i've seen in australia over the years, especially in outback NT & WA has no equivalent in the UK.
              Took you a while to google that one !

How does GB 'work' with it's immediate neighbours exactly ?

In what way will it 'catch up with Australia' ?

If the poverty in Australia bothers you so much what did you do about it ?

Comment

In what way will it 'catch up with Australia' ?

If the poverty in Australia bothers you so much what did you do about it ?
                Think there are two seperate points here.

Australia does engage with it's neighbors, e.g. Solomons, Fiji, PNG, in the form of aid and peacekeeping troops regularly. Australia gave a few billion dollars in aid to Indonesia after the tsunami.

Sadly there is extreme 3rd world style poverty in Aboriginal australia. Nobody really seems to know what the solution is so it's quietly ignored by most of the population.

Comment

I don't agree that it is 'quietly ignored', but it is a hugely complex problem and if it bothers you then you do something about it.

Comment

Well GB sents a lot of my tax dollars to prop up those minor principalities in Wales and Scotland!

Mailman

Comment

I don't agree that it is 'quietly ignored', but it is a hugely complex problem and if it bothers you then you do something about it.
                      Seems to have touched a raw nerve here then

Who says 'Sledging' doesn't work

Comment

Working...
                      X