• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.

Shindig

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Shindig

    EU officials plan £50,000 staff party with 700 bottles of wine

    European Union officials are looking forward to a massive eight-hour end of year party, which will boast 700 bottles of wine and a dinner with 26 different dishes at a cost of up to £48,600.

    About 1,200 to 1,400 civil servants will enjoy an evening of dancing, dinner and drinks lasting from 7pm until 3am at the Council of the European Union’s huge Justus Lipsius building in Brussels. The building hosts the regular summits of EU leaders, chaired by European Council President Donald Tusk, as well as meeting of national ministers.

    Details of the annual bash, planned for between late October and December, emerged after the council published a call for tender to catering companies.

    The bill will be paid from the council budget, which is money from EU member states including Britain. The cost was branded “alarming” and “extravagant” by campaign group The Taxpayer’s Alliance

    Source: EU officials plan £50,000 staff party with 700 bottles of wine

    £70 on average for 26 different dishes with wine, seems like very cost effective.

    #2
    HMRC allowance for Xmas party is £150 per head.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by AtW View Post
      £70 on average for 26 different dishes with wine, seems like very cost effective.
      £48600 across 1200 -1400 staff is around £40 per head, no? Truly extravagant.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Lambert Simnel View Post
        £48600 across 1200 -1400 staff is around £40 per head, no? Truly extravagant.
        Indeed, I was counting price of bottle of wine, doh!

        £40 with wine on annual Xmas event is certainly not extravagant.

        Comment


          #5
          That word reminds me of the days when I used to go to a lot of barn dances.

          We held a lot of young farmers balls round here back in the day.

          Don't seem to be in vogue any more.

          Perhaps there aren't many barns left to hold them in? All being used as business office space or the farms have been bought by rich London yuppies to use as holistic healing retreats.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by AtW View Post
            EU officials plan £50,000 staff party with 700 bottles of wine

            European Union officials are looking forward to a massive eight-hour end of year party, which will boast 700 bottles of wine and a dinner with 26 different dishes at a cost of up to £48,600.

            About 1,200 to 1,400 civil servants will enjoy an evening of dancing, dinner and drinks lasting from 7pm until 3am at the Council of the European Union’s huge Justus Lipsius building in Brussels. The building hosts the regular summits of EU leaders, chaired by European Council President Donald Tusk, as well as meeting of national ministers.

            Details of the annual bash, planned for between late October and December, emerged after the council published a call for tender to catering companies.

            The bill will be paid from the council budget, which is money from EU member states including Britain. The cost was branded “alarming” and “extravagant” by campaign group The Taxpayer’s Alliance

            Source: EU officials plan £50,000 staff party with 700 bottles of wine

            £70 on average for 26 different dishes with wine, seems like very cost effective.

            You should see the large sums that the UN and Oxfam spend on their reps when they stay in hotels.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
              That word reminds me of the days when I used to go to a lot of barn dances.

              We held a lot of young farmers balls round here back in the day.

              Don't seem to be in vogue any more.

              Perhaps there aren't many barns left to hold them in? All being used as business office space or the farms have been bought by rich London yuppies to use as holistic healing retreats.
              We still have them in North Devon. Perhaps not balls as such, but a farmer down the road from me regularly has discos in one of his barns, and last Guy Fawkes night he had one with a big bonfire and fireworks display, which was quite brave as there was a large barn full of hay nearby and the maniacs letting off the fireworks weren't always as accurate as they should have been!
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                We still have them in North Devon. Perhaps not balls as such, but a farmer down the road from me regularly has discos in one of his barns, and last Guy Fawkes night he had one with a big bonfire and fireworks display, which was quite brave as there was a large barn full of hay nearby and the maniacs letting off the fireworks weren't always as accurate as they should have been!
                Yes, we had those too along with ceilidhs. Straw bales for furniture was always the order of the day.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
                  That word reminds me of the days when I used to go to a lot of barn dances.

                  We held a lot of young farmers balls round here back in the day.

                  Don't seem to be in vogue any more.

                  Perhaps there aren't many barns left to hold them in? All being used as business office space or the farms have been bought by rich London yuppies to use as holistic healing retreats.
                  When did you last have young farmers balls?

                  PS: I am willing to dress up as a young farmer.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Paddy View Post

                    PS: I am willing to dress up as a young farmer.
                    No, please don't!!


                    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X