• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK slipping into recession "like old man lowering himself into a bath"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fronttoback View Post
    No, a startup culture does not have to be London centric. In fact there is the beginnings of one near Cambridge today.

But it's not the top end individuals in these startups currently. If the govt sponsored tech startups - you would see the UK dominating because entrepreneurship would be the number one choice - currently it's not.

I'm talking about making it hard for the best Cambridge grads to discount forming startups instead of going to work at multinationals via graduate intakes.

I don't believe all of these people want to live in foreign countries after graduating.
    Jeez it's like the 70s never happened.
    Govt sponsored tech startups?
    Yeah because government has always shown its good at business ventures
    Let's have a government committee to decide who to sponsor, that'll work

In the 80s the government paid anyone who was unemployed and started up their own company - "enterprise allowance" I think it was called.
    Loads of druggies incorporated companies at companies house, moved to Brighton and settled down to some serious pot smoking.
    Till the idea was cancelled.

There is plenty of VC capital available for anyone who wants to form a start up.
    Last edited by sasguru; 11 July 2017, 11:24.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      Jeez it's like the 70s never happened.
      Govt sponsored tech startups?
      Yeah because government has always shown its good at business ventures
      Let's have a government committee to decide who to sponsor, that'll work

There is plenty of VC capital available for anyone who wants to form a start up.
      Yes, basically the government would start a VC company. It would not give out funds to any numpty but those who are vetted as top end and entrepreneurial will be deemed a good bet. Entrepreneurship will be integrated into the uni curriculum.

It need proper policing to run it well- but it could be done.

Comment

We have to remember why the EU exists. Before the EU you had lots of separate countries each with its own separate home market. In the US companies were in contrast incredibly wealthy with an enormous home market, people earned double what could earn in Europe, that 's why the EU came into being, to replicate the wealthy USA. If the EU were to break up and everyone was forced to apply for visas to work across the border every country will be forced to put up barriers to protect local jobs and large EU international companies would find it difficult operate effectively. The UK is breaking off but hoping to take advantage of the rest of the EU, but they won't let it happen if they effectively bar people from working there, even Switzerland and Norway are part of this home market. You can't take significant chunks of the EU market and effectively prevent EU citzens from working, it aint going to happen, so Britain will be consigned to taking smaller chunks of everybody else's markets.
        Last edited by BlasterBates; 11 July 2017, 11:35.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

I'm talking about making it hard for the best Cambridge grads to discount forming startups instead of going to work at multinationals via graduate intakes.

I don't believe all of these people want to live in foreign countries after graduating.

oh dear

Milan.

Comment

This is how the city of London works- many many people don't get near a trading floor but do very well out of the business generated at the top end flowing down.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
              oh dear

Milan.
              The UK doesn't need you fake Germans to stage a recovery.

Who the f@@k would leave a first world country to go and live/work in a country where they do not speak the language?
              You are a "guest worker". It will take your family at least a generation to get back to the social status you have left behind in the UK. Only someone who was struggling would do that to his kids.

From that I conclude you were a loser in the UK. Therefore, your opinion is not relevant.

Comment

Originally posted by tiggat View Post
                That's exactly right sassy. You dont solve a financial crisis from the bottom up.

Comment

That's exactly right sassy. You dont solve a financial crisis from the bottom up.
                  I was laughing at your view of how the City of London works.

Comment

Originally posted by tiggat View Post
                    I was laughing at your view of how the City of London works.
                    But it's right. The big money is made at the top. That requires support staff at many tiers. Once the big money goes, support staff start getting chopped. I've done 20+ years in the banks. I'd love your version...

Comment

From that I conclude you were a loser in the UK. Therefore, your opinion is not relevant.
                      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                      X