• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Banking Boomed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Banking Boomed

First foray into the world of Banking, 3Mo, £25/day more than last gig (... which was nice)

I've just been through the WaterOnboarding process (Extracting a lot of personal information out of me).

Not got a client name yet, but a Google search of "bank <street name from agent>" gave a pretty clear indication.

What can I expect culture wise? Dress codes? Unpaid overtime expected? Lower or Higher than the median Tulipe level? Hatred/Love/Indifference/Acceptance of Contractors?
    Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
    "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Originally posted by rl4engc View Post
    First foray into the world of Banking, 3Mo, £25/day more than last gig (... which was nice)

I've just been through the WaterOnboarding process (Extracting a lot of personal information out of me).

Not got a client name yet, but a Google search of "bank <street name from agent>" gave a pretty clear indication.

What can I expect culture wise? Dress codes? Unpaid overtime expected? Lower or Higher than the median Tulipe level? Hatred/Love/Indifference/Acceptance of Contractors?

Dress Code will be smart casual.

Every team is different. However usually you will be amazed by how stupid the people are. And how painful the commute is.

Comment

I can do a banking ramp up for you if you like.

In banking, knowledge is power. Forewarned is forearmed. Lingo is everything. You have to cut the wheat from the chaff. I can show you the wood in the trees.

I'll do a couple of hours Skype session for you for a bag of sand. How's that sound?

Comment

http://www.unofficialguidetobanking....gon_Buster.pdf

Spend the money saved on 15 minutes with NLyUK.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          http://www.unofficialguidetobanking....gon_Buster.pdf

Spend the money saved on 15 minutes with NLyUK.
          Good one that. Especially bull and bear markets.

To the OP, if you encounter a bearded man in the bank- you must refer to them as the "bear" instead of his real name, in meetings. Beards in banks, signify strength - because beards are looked down on, therefore the beard wearer must be the "bearer" of some enviable skills.

Comment

Errrrm, have you actually got a contract

Is it Retail or IB, there are differences there right enough.
            Then it depends who it is within Retail or IB.

Then finally it depends on which team you are working with.
            Some can be heaven or hell, even within the same organization.
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Well if it's a certain bank that used to be part of Lloyds then it's an unadulterated tulipfest to be avoided like the Black Death.

Comment

Originally posted by Fronttoback View Post
                Good one that. Especially bull and bear markets.

To the OP, if you encounter a bearded man in the bank- you must refer to them as the "bear" instead of his real name, in meetings. Beards in banks, signify strength - because beards are looked down on, therefore the beard wearer must be the "bearer" of some enviable skills.
                Good advice.

However, the Op should be aware that the term "Bear" has a very different meaning in other circles, so should be used with care.
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                  Good advice.

However, the Op should be aware that the term "Bear" has a very different meaning in other circles, so should be used with care.
                  Save me the search and tell me - I was once told by a pissed bloke on the tube (at 8am on a Monday) that I was very 'bear like' - I'd always presumed he meant the beard and my fabulous physique but maybe I should have nutted him ?

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                    Good advice.

OP- You will often come across these MarkyMark types in banks, lone wolfs trying to get you onside with useful tips- at the start. Like the mythical drug dealer giving away free drugs to get you hooked. Then later, when the sh1t hits the fan "MarkyMark" is propping up the bar while you fix the mess at midnight. Just you stick with me kid, and you'll go far, one day you will be a "bear".

Comment

Working...
                    X