• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any of you worked on security for the NHS?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If your still using XP then expect nothing less
    Warning unicorn meat may give you hallucinations

Comment

Maybe, if we go into hospital, we should take our own laptops for record keeping.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I wonder if they thought to have proper backups? Difficult to have much confidence in public sector IT.

If I had a hospital appointment I think I'd cancel it. Might go there regarding a fracture and find my appendix had been removed. Or they might even cut me up looking for my uterus.
        bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Thank goodness Corbyn is not planning to nationalise the airlines. You'd be heading towards Heathrow and a message would pop up telling the pilot he had to send $5000 before he could lower the wheels.
          bloggoth

Comment

I worked in an NHS trust a while back. My experience was that the front-end systems accessed by 98% of people were all very effectively secured, monitored and audited, with good training/threats in place.

On the other hand the back-end systems were far too open to anybody with access, and with the way data was processed - effectively un-auditable. Security in that aspect relied more on trust, judgement and good-will. It scared me a little too.

Comment

Bitcoin is a poor choice for ransom payment, it can be traced easily enough.

Blockchain would be an excellent use case for keeping NHS records. Encrypted end to end whilst keeping data available across the entire network in multiple nodes.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                You've always had worms. That's why you're so skinny.
                15 years worth of beer and curry can have a terrible effect on a chaps waistline, but stood next to you I still look like someone on hunger strike.
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Zylon View Post
                  I worked in an NHS trust a while back. My experience was that the front-end systems accessed by 98% of people were all very effectively secured, monitored and audited, with good training/threats in place.

On the other hand the back-end systems were far too open to anybody with access, and with the way data was processed - effectively un-auditable. Security in that aspect relied more on trust, judgement and good-will. It scared me a little too.
                  I'm sorry but that's absolute rubbish.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                    I'm sorry but that's absolute rubbish.
                    In what respect exactly? That the clinical front-end security is good or that the back-end security is poor?

As you seem to have worked in the NHS, you'll know that there is substantial variance between trusts due to the decentralised nature of many of the IT systems, so your experience may well have been completely different - this doesn't falsify what I'm claiming.

To be clear I'm not referring to the core systems.

What I do know for certain is that I and many others who worked with IT/data could easily have accessed, taken off-site, then lost or sold highly confidential data on tens of thousands of patients in the local area had we wanted to.

Another poster earlier in this thread made a similar point to me, based on their own experience. If you're not clear which point you disagree on though it's hard to have a discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                      So if they've managed to do that, what's to say they're not downloading all of the patient health records. A breach of that would be the largest ever.
                      They are not being downloaded. They were left on the 15:17 from Waterloo to Surbiton.

Comment

Working...
                      X