• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Kids & Chess

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Clearly I'm smarter than you. But that was obvious before. how did you write your chess program - standard minimax? It's not trivial but not particular hard either. More tedious than anything.
    Recursive procedure to generate moves and hence board positions. Evaluation procedure on quiet positions or pre set level then propagate back up . Position with the highest score determines the next move. spent 6 months of intense work when I was 17. Had to repeat my A levels because of it.
    Inneresting.

Considering a few years back you were saying you weren't a programmer and you didn't program.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Inneresting.

Considering a few years back you were saying you weren't a programmer and you didn't program.

Yes I managed a team of programmers and analysts for a while Because of course we do the same thing througout our lives. In a forum of cretins you're special.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Inneresting.

All done in excel.

Comment

Clearly I'm smarter than you. But that was obvious before. how did you write your chess program - standard minimax? It's not trivial but not particular hard either. More tedious than anything.
          Recursive procedure to generate moves and hence board positions. Evaluation procedure on quiet positions or pre set level then propagate back up . Position with the highest score determines the next move. spent 6 months of intense work when I was 17. Had to repeat my A levels because of it.
          6 months?! I'm talking to Hawko on the desk, he did it in 3 weeks for a university assignment in 1989. I took 4 weeks in about 1992, I reckon.

We are interested in how you handle caching positions back in the day when RAM was scarce and processors slower- or did you have access to a super computer when you were 17? Without a position cache your search would take too long. It would be taking hours to make moves. Unless you were selecting legal moves at random without factoring in any position evaluation!

This is getting more smelly by the minute.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
            I played a lot of chess in my childhood and still play a bit now. They are never knock-outs. Almost always Swiss.
            What's Swiss? It's entirely possible I've mis-remembered as I was very young but I definitely remember each tournament ended with me getting knocked out. Maybe winners played winners and losers losers until the final rounds?
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              What's Swiss? It's entirely possible I've mis-remembered as I was very young but I definitely remember each tournament ended with me getting knocked out. Maybe winners played winners and losers losers until the final rounds?

Wow. Even at chess club people wanted to knock you out.

You must really make an impression.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Chess is a cold-blooded battle of the mind.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  . Maybe winners played winners and losers losers until the final rounds?
                  More or less.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss-system_tournament

Comment

Had to repeat my A levels because of it.

I found that hard to believe.

You got beyond O levels?

You only sort of A levels you would get is with NLyUK...

Comment

Originally posted by Fronttoback View Post
                      6 months?! I'm talking to Hawko on the desk, he did it in 3 weeks for a university assignment in 1989. I took 4 weeks in about 1992, I reckon.

We are interested in how you handle caching positions back in the day when RAM was scarce and processors slower- or did you have access to a super computer when you were 17? Without a position cache your search would take too long. It would be taking hours to make moves. Unless you were selecting legal moves at random without factoring in any position evaluation!

This is getting more smelly by the minute.
                      Caching? Too sophisticated. Can't remember exactly, but I probably limited the search depth to something small maybe 3 before doing the evaluation and propagating it up. Like I said it was far from giving you a good game.
                      Don't know what your problem is, you seem to be exhibiting some deep insecurity.
                      And who's Hawko? Is he the one who taught you "Hello World" the other day?

You wrote a chess program in 4 weeks? This is getting more smelly by the minute.
                      Well I guess losers gonna be losers. And in your case the BS is strong.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X