• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

About time too!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    Two choices here:
    1 - buy a car for the whole journey, thus avoiding the train altogether.
    2 - get a lift / taxi / bus or walk to the station.

And you know where you can stick your sense of moral entitlement.
    Right. I wasn't going to mention it but seeing as you have then I will.

Item: First and foremost, I ride a cycle for the benefit of my health but, yes, I do also feel that cycling helps me do my bit for the environment so I sport my "One less car" sticker with pride.

Item: I do not ride a cycle to get stuck behind a line of traffic breathing in filthy fumes so I will cycle to the front - up the inside or round the outside of the queue - whether you like it or not and yes, it's my entitlement.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Only if they step on them.

Most people aren't that dumb due to the couple that have been killed.
      One thing I have noticed in North Wales is that about 25% of drivers ignore zebra crossings. In London it is much lower - maybe 1%.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        One thing I have noticed in North Wales is that about 25% of drivers ignore zebra crossings. In London it is much lower - maybe 1%.
        In London due to the number of dumb walkers, while driving you are alert to pedestrians walking out on you at random times regardless if there is a crossing there or not. So to save time you stop for them even though if you run them over when it isn't a zebra crossing or the crossing light isn't green, you aren't liable as long as you stop.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
          Right. I wasn't going to mention it but seeing as you have then I will.

Item: First and foremost, I ride a cycle for the benefit of my health but, yes, I do also feel that cycling helps me do my bit for the environment so I sport my "One less car" sticker with pride.

Item: I do not ride a cycle to get stuck behind a line of traffic breathing in filthy fumes so I will cycle to the front - up the inside or round the outside of the queue - whether you like it or not and yes, it's my entitlement.
          It doesn't do your bit for the environment if you make other peoples' clothes dirty so they have to wash them sooner than expected, and the train needs more chemicals and water to clean it due to your muddy bike being on it.

Comment

It doesn't do your bit for the environment if you make other peoples' clothes dirty so they have to wash them sooner than expected, and the train needs more chemicals and water to clean it due to your muddy bike being on it.
            You've obviously never seen the state of ATW's rolling stock

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              In Northern Ireland they don't bother with indicators and are happy to skip red lights, neither seen much in London these days. I think it's something to do with the chances of getting caught in the latter are much greater.

Comment

As a temporary resident in Cambridge I find the sense of entitlement at owning and riding a bike there overrides any common sense to have lights, wear reflective/hi-vis clothing, or behave as if a car could actually kill you if you decide to weave into the road without looking to overtake another cyclist. I appreciate that they really don't like cars in cambridge (£16 to park for a day?) but that doesn't make cyclist immortal.

And as for undertaking lorries on a bike, only someone determined to win a Darwin award should even contemplate it!

Comment

Originally posted by Pherlopolus View Post
                  As a temporary resident in Cambridge I find the sense of entitlement at owning and riding a bike there overrides any common sense to have lights, wear reflective/hi-vis clothing, or behave as if a car could actually kill you if you decide to weave into the road without looking to overtake another cyclist. I appreciate that they really don't like cars in cambridge (£16 to park for a day?) but that doesn't make cyclist immortal.

And as for undertaking lorries on a bike, only someone determined to win a Darwin award should even contemplate it!
                  They seem to be turning the pavements into cycle paths round here with the net result that pedestrians are getting p!ssed off with nearly getting mowed down by cyclists while motorists are still peed off by all the cyclists who refuse to go on the pavement.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
                    They seem to be turning the pavements into cycle paths round here with the net result that pedestrians are getting p!ssed off with nearly getting mowed down by cyclists while motorists are still peed off by all the cyclists who refuse to go on the pavement.
                    They are shared use paths.

If it is safe to cycle on the path you use it and if it isn't you use the road.

Comment

They are shared use paths.

If it is safe to cycle on the path you use it and if it isn't you use the road.
                      Yes but ostensibly they're still pavements. They haven't been widened or anything.

It would be all too easy to be wandering along with your headphones in and blunder into the path of a bike coming up behind you.

Fecking stupid idea.

Comment

Working...
                      X