• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cryptocurrency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
    How do you invest in the platform then, e.g Ethereum platform instead of ETH token or Ripple instead of XRP? Shares in the company that owns the platform if it's not truly decentralised?

As for the Ethereum based tokens seems many use the platform to launch with the intention of separating away onto their own mainnet once enough momentum gained, as seen recently with EOS. Though reports of that transition make it sound less than smooth with some losing their tokens, not sure if temporarily or gone for good.
    I think of protocols such as BTC and ETH like internet protocols, such as TCPv1 and TCPv2

EOS is a protocol for decentralised applications to run on. It has become very different from Ether.

Ether is a protocol. You own it by buying Ether tokens. Many applications run on the Ether protocol. Salt, OMG, QTUM, PAY to name a few. Therefore if Ether has a problem the applications that run on it have a problem. Two points of failure. However Ether will remain for other blockchain that don't require the speed of applications. That's where EOS comes in.

Neo is a protocol.

XRP is a protocol con imo, the XRP tokens have no purpose whatsoever as far as I can tell. I own some because I believe there'll be a pump but in 10 years from now they'll have next to no value is my guess but the Ripple protocol will continue to be in use with banks, for example.

Applications running on Ether cannot run away and make there own main net as they depend on the platform. A bit like me trying to run my VISO windows installation on a OS X. Which is where the blockchain AION comes in, allowing data to be shared between different protocols.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      I think of protocols such as BTC and ETH like internet protocols, such as TCPv1 and TCPv2

EOS is a protocol for decentralised applications to run on. It has become very different from Ether.

Ether is a protocol. You own it by buying Ether tokens. Many applications run on the Ether protocol. Salt, OMG, QTUM, PAY to name a few. Therefore if Ether has a problem the applications that run on it have a problem. Two points of failure. However Ether will remain for other blockchain that don't require the speed of applications. That's where EOS comes in.

Neo is a protocol.

XRP is a protocol con imo, the XRP tokens have no purpose whatsoever as far as I can tell. I own some because I believe there'll be a pump but in 10 years from now they'll have next to no value is my guess but the Ripple protocol will continue to be in use with banks, for example.

Applications running on Ether cannot run away and make there own main net as they depend on the platform. A bit like me trying to run my VISO windows installation on a OS X. Which is where the blockchain AION comes in, allowing data to be shared between different protocols.
      Have to say I agree with you. The problem for me (and many on here I suspect) is that the don't invest more than you can afford to lose kicks in. I really want to get hold of some AION but without putting more in (which I can't) I'm left with a choice of of taking cash from other ALTs to fund it. You can guarantee that the moment I do that it will pump.
      I think my plan will be to dump my ALTs when they have pumped and put it into BTC (as you have stated), and then make sure AION is in the next batch of ALTs that get chosen (after the next correction). If a close eye is kept on AION (and also CND and BAX) then it may even be possible to put money into them rather than BTC and 'double pump' the money from this expected bull run. It just depends on the order in which things go up.
      We do appear to be seeing some green shoots at the moment but I am still very wary of the $3800 algorithm target that I can see. There are a number of others stacking up as well at between (4000-4500 - see tradingdevils videos on youtube). The closer we get to them the more likely it is that I think the market will be manipulated to get them.
      Your friendly neighbourhood VirtualMonkey - Not giving financial advice since...well...ever.

Comment

I don't really mind what dollar value BTC becomes as longs as it becomes stable, relatively speaking. Every time BTC stabilises alts rally. Year after year. You've got the right idea, wait until you see the 5-waves up on your alts positions. 70% pullbacks will hopefully look tiny by that point.

When institutional investors do arrive they've going to be interested in 'protocols' rather than the blockchains / applications that run on them. That's my belief. It is also where the greatest chance of 1000x returns will be.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post

When institutional investors do arrive they've going to be interested in 'protocols' rather than the blockchains / applications that run on them. That's my belief. It is also where the greatest chance of 1000x returns will be.
          Yes, but they are more likely to create their own protocol as a consortium from scratch and control the creation of the tokens, with clear ownership of who has what.

It would be a big risk for them to purchase an existing protocol when it's not clear who currently owns the tokens. Imagine the pain they'd suffer if the biggest beneficiary was some Asian Mafia types?

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
            Yes, but they are more likely to create their own protocol as a consortium from scratch and control the creation of the tokens, with clear ownership of who has what.

It would be a big risk for them to purchase an existing protocol when it's not clear who currently owns the tokens. Imagine the pain they'd suffer if the biggest beneficiary was some Asian Mafia types?
            This might be where AION has its biggest use...
            Your friendly neighbourhood VirtualMonkey - Not giving financial advice since...well...ever.

Comment

Stellar..XLM...has anyone heard anything about them this year?
              I have heard absolutely nothing and XLM is extremely cheap at the moment...

Comment

Some real world examples of how blockchain and some cryptos are changing things. Much more like this to come.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44642175

Digital technology is helping to transform the lives - and profits - of farmers. From apps to the blockchain technology behind bitcoin, farmers and smallholders are discovering new ways of doing business.
                May be better investing in these companies than some tulipcoin with a fancy website and not much else tangible delivered so far.
                Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post

Absolutely nothing stopping an investor creating their own protocol. Indeed Goldman could come along and buy the Ripple protocol right now for a snap at $20b, take the tech created to date. But! there's a problem with this level of control. Ripple for example own more than half of XRP in circulation. Like your investor example, an investor looking to control his/her protocol is a real turn off for users. In fact it's not even a blockchain at this point since the ledger is no longer decentralised and now has a very obvious single point of failure, not to mention control. Without adoption a protocol will fail before it gets off the ground.

Tezos have now launched their beta network, given up their veto to change anything and handed over control to the community. The protocol can be modified by community vote (now that's governance in action without forking), whilst creating a trusted smart contract network. Who in their right mind when create their own trust-less protocol in the face of something like Tezos? Money down the drain.

I'm very excited about Tezos now, the financial smart control market is around $200trillion. Imagine if that market adopts Tezos by even 1% - kaboom.

Just Four Banks Account For 90% of $200 Trillion in Derivatives Says OCC Report

Comment

No matter what has transpired with Tezos, the origins are too shady for me.

https://www.wired.com/story/tezos-bl...-horror-story/

in late February the head of the SEC, Jay Clayton, declared that, as far as he was concerned, all ICOs constituted the sale of unregistered securities. He did not exclude Ethereum. The longstanding fantasy that a centralized entity could presell a token on the premise of delayed decentralization might have to be set aside once and for all.
                    Nailed it.

No idea what's going on with Tezos now but CoinmarketCap have it down currently 47% GBP or 49% BTC.

Rank 1358. If this isn't a tulipcoin and a scammy one at that, then those with bigger balls than me may make a proper killing.

I think I'll stick with bitcoin. Long live the king.
                    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post

No idea what's going on with Tezos now but CoinmarketCap have it down currently 47% GBP or 49% BTC.
                      That's because it just became tradable in the last 24hours. People who bought into the ICO could collect an easy 10x gain. Not exactly an awful story at the end of the day is it?

I'm holding with a firm grip. 50% pullback is nothing if we see a 10x 100x or even 1000x in the years to come. There was bound to be disgruntled investors getting out.
                      Last edited by scooterscot; 3 July 2018, 13:08.

Comment

Working...
                      X