• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cryptocurrency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Exactly, selling high buying low.
    which exchanges allow short selling?

Comment

Binance is accepting registrations again if anyone is feeling flush:

https://www.binance.com/?ref=15372888

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
        Well I decided to sell Stellar, went like this:

Transferred it from Nano to Bittrex - quick and flawless (don't forget memo text!)
        Sold on Bittrex for BTC
        Bought LTC with the BTC
        Send LTC to Uphold
        Cashed out entire original (5 figure) FIAT investment from Uphold - waiting for SEPA transfer

Still got about £35k in the game assuming SC coins turn up somewhere sometime and hopefully don't get dumped too badly.

Bought some ADA, Feathercoin and Firstblood - recommended by Alan Masters

Maybe I will regret not Hodling Stellar and if it shoots up I'll kick myself but I can always get back in later. Now my original FIAT stake is cashed out I can concentrate on an accumulation/partial cash out strategy - probably something along the lines of closed out trade profits going:

50% - coin accumulation (adding)
        25% - short term P&D
        25% - cash out.

Let's see how that plays out from here
        SEPA transfer cleared into bank sitting pretty - now playing with the house's money with a decent chunk.
        "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
          SEPA transfer cleared into bank sitting pretty - now playing with the house's money with a decent chunk.
          Well done, sounds as though you're in a good low-risk position

Comment

Nice one. The few hundred GBP i transferred from uphold credited today too. Was just a bit of a test transfer from uphold. It's a great service even if you're not into crypto, e.g. for moving money around in different currencies.

Gonna try the same with revolut.

Comment

My attitude to risk changed once a I crossed a significant number. When the portfolio starts swinging +/- $100k's on a normal day, you'd do the same! Even still the stakes on individual coins are still humongous given from where I started. Now I just take the profits and distribute or indeed as with SALT tonight, I short it and accumulate more coins.
              Are you using any technical analysis (rsi?) to decide when to sell (eg SALT yesterday) in anticipation of a fall. Every time I think the price rise is stalling, it ends up blowing straight thru and further upwards.

Comment

Originally posted by bish View Post
                Are you using any technical analysis (rsi?) to decide when to sell (eg SALT yesterday) in anticipation of a fall. Every time I think the price rise is stalling, it ends up blowing straight thru and further upwards.
                TA goes so far until China says it's banning BTC again. And again.

Usually spikes are easy enough to see, they last around 12 hours before returning to some standard moving average. The idea is to end up with more coins than you started. Even if it is a small amount extra, it's a gain. Otherwise just hold long and don't stress.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

TA goes so far until China says it's banning BTC again. And again.

Usually spikes are easy enough to see, they last around 12 hours before returning to some standard moving average. The idea is to end up with more coins than you started. Even if it is a small amount extra, it's a gain. Otherwise just hold long and don't stress.
                  Which coins are you accumulating and are you accumulating BTC for the long term?

I'm accumulating for longer term:

ETH
                  XRP
                  XLM (need to buy in again when I get a chance)
                  STRAT
                  ADA
                  SC
                  DASH
                  BCH
                  LTC

Everything else is pump & dump to accumulate more of the above. Do you see BTC staying as the main one longer term?
                  "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Don't have much BTC at all. It'll probably hit $40k summer, $100k this time next year (my 2nd exit point), however I find the risk / gain reward more acceptable in trading the alt's. For the time being I'm keeping more than a bitcoin in each of those:

Ethereum Classic ETC
                    ZenCash ZEN
                    Groestlcoin GRS
                    Vertcoin VTC
                    Salt SALT
                    Numeraire NMR
                    PowerLedger POWR
                    Waves WAVES
                    Factom FCT
                    Ubiq UBQ
                    district0x DNT
                    METAL MTL
                    TenX Pay Token PAY
                    SiaCoin SIA
                    AION
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

good tweet

"Coming from a financial background, I understand the emotions that come with volatility. I constantly talk clients off the ledge so to speak whenever markets take a hit. However, long term investors outperform short term traders on average. It is a proven fact. Not debatable. There will always be exceptions to the rule. Crypto markets are very bullish so far this year. Your coin can't always climb to new ATH. If you force yourself to hold your investments that you believe in for a month or two you will see returns. Market timing is playing with fire. You can win big and you can miss out big too. Being patient is far easier than making emotional decisions based of short term swings. Trust me."

Comment

Working...
                      X