• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cryptocurrency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
    If you're bothered by a big red candle over a short timeframe, you're in the wrong game. Try not to look at the 30 min and 1 hour charts.

I'm not seeing much to worry about here, just the usual volatility.
    I held my positions rather than reacting. Tomorrow it will be up where i expected it to be
    Your friendly neighbourhood VirtualMonkey - Not giving financial advice since...well...ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Olly550 View Post
      Pullbacks on everything this morning, BTC came down to 18k but now seems to be holding.
      I lost 10% on LTC but going to hold it for now. IOTA had a big drop.
      Whats the plans for today, IOTA? I may stay out and watch how this pulback plays out.
      Reading the live chat on tradingview is amusing - absolute panickers.
      Going on a 5k jog at 12.00 and will re-evaluate post lunch
      IOTA may be a good one to HODL. Coinbase seems to be where the money pumps in (ref: goldbug1 on tradingview) and its had lots of press recently so may have a good chance of being listed.
      Your friendly neighbourhood VirtualMonkey - Not giving financial advice since...well...ever.

Comment

There is a rumour that Coinbase will start listing some of the alts making them majors, which ones hasn't been confirmed by the ones that it does will likely shoot up. Uphold added DASH recently, wouldn't surprise me if ripple and some others get listed. Alts for FIAT - could be good...

There is a lot of conjecture at the moment as to how many and what altcoins they will be adding to their marketplace. The likelihood is that they will choose the ones that have the greatest demand; a good indicator for this is the market capacity. In addition to Bitcoin, Litecoin and Ethereum already listed the others in the top ten are Bitcoin Cash, Ripple, Iota, Dash, Monero, Nem and Bitcoin Gold.
        Coinbase CEO: More Services and Coins in 2018

Need to open some positions on some of the top alts...

Attention Luddites, Naysayers and other 'clever people' - here are some ground floor opportunities for you. You will need to buy some BTC or ETH to purchase the above coins - which is worth doing if you want to catch the 2018 bubble.
        Last edited by Jog On; 19 December 2017, 12:31.
        "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
          There is a rumour that Coinbase will start listing some of the alts making them majors, which ones hasn't been confirmed by the ones that it does will likely shoot up. Uphold added DASH recently, wouldn't surprise me if ripple and some others get listed. Alts for FIAT - could be good...

Coinbase CEO: More Services and Coins in 2018

Need to open some positions on some of the top alts...

Attention Luddites, Naysayers and other 'clever people' - here are some ground floor opportunities for you. You will need to buy some BTC or ETH to purchase the above coins - which is worth doing if you want to catch the 2018 bubble.
          DASH was the most successful coin I had since 2014. The majority of my profit was from those. I'm surprised it's not considered major already TBH. I might have to buy some more.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
            DASH was the most successful coin I had since 2014. The majority of my profit was from those. I'm surprised it's not considered major already TBH. I might have to buy some more.
            It's next on my list with XRP and IOTA for long term hodls.
            "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

You will need to buy some BTC or ETH to purchase the above coins - which is worth doing if you want to catch the 2018 bubble.

that's clever isn't it, you can only purchase the coins using BTC or ETH.

If it looks like a pyramid, and smells like a pyramid,

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                It might sound fanciful but I reckon in the not to distant future individuals will be transferring money around the globe in seconds to each other.
                Not with the current tech they wont.

Bit coin transaction fees are at around $20 at the moment and take HOURS to go through unless you're very lucky.

The main thing that people are not seeing (and by people I mean non techies) is that when the last coin is mined the system falls apart (Unless something is done to change the way that it works) at the moment the 'miners' get a decent return because winning the block lottery gives you a decent return, when there are no more coins to be mined all that miners will get will be the transaction fees no block reward, when that happens the cost of powering a warehouse full of ASICs will far outweigh any money you can get back.

Its probably worth getting some coins now and selling later to make a bit of cash, but unless something changes I cant see this being a long term solution.

Other things to consider :

1. Power consumption for crypto currency mining is ridiculous - and most of it wasted, this is not the best use of our resources.
                2. Crypto currency was touted as decentralised, this was the case to start with but now unless you can compete with industrial scale miners (see previous about warehouse full of ASICs) then its still centralised around a small group of people (but with no regulations)
                3. Because the price is climbing so much no one wants to spend coins at the moment (At least not BC) Imagine having bought something for 1 bitcoin this time last year. You'd be kicking yourself looking at todays price.

Comment

It's next on my list with XRP and IOTA for long term hodls.
                  I don't have any more money I would happily place at risk unfortunately.
                  Maybe after Christmas for me.
                  XLM and XRP and HODL at the moment

Comment

Originally posted by Snarf View Post
                    Not with the current tech they wont.

Bit coin transaction fees are at around $20 at the moment and take HOURS to go through unless you're very lucky.

The main thing that people are not seeing (and by people I mean non techies) is that when the last coin is mined the system falls apart (Unless something is done to change the way that it works) at the moment the 'miners' get a decent return because winning the block lottery gives you a decent return, when there are no more coins to be mined all that miners will get will be the transaction fees no block reward, when that happens the cost of powering a warehouse full of ASICs will far outweigh any money you can get back.

Its probably worth getting some coins now and selling later to make a bit of cash, but unless something changes I cant see this being a long term solution.

Other things to consider :

1. Power consumption for crypto currency mining is ridiculous - and most of it wasted, this is not the best use of our resources.
                    2. Crypto currency was touted as decentralised, this was the case to start with but now unless you can compete with industrial scale miners (see previous about warehouse full of ASICs) then its still centralised around a small group of people (but with no regulations)
                    3. Because the price is climbing so much no one wants to spend coins at the moment (At least not BC) Imagine having bought something for 1 bitcoin this time last year. You'd be kicking yourself looking at todays price.
                    You're talking about bitcoin though. The last one won't be mined for about 100 years or so and then the transaction fees will be enough to motivate miners - also the tech will be a lot more efficient and most probably from renewable sources.

There are >2000 coins out there now and new ICOs almost every day. We are in such an early stage that it's clunky and not very efficient yet. But this is the same with everything - remember brick mobile phones? And the Internet in 1996? Or computers pre MS Windows? If you could go back and buy shares in Microsoft and Apple back then would you? How about Vodafone?

I'm shocked at the lack of innovative thinking and inability to see potential in such a game changer as blockchain and crypto - especially coming from those who are supposed to be at the forefront of technology.

Current implementations of crypto do need a lot of work and they will mature. Some coins will be huge, most will fall by the wayside, blockchain will probably become the new normal, and some of us who are learning and investing now will do very well. Others will look back and kick themselves for choosing to be too clever by half.

I'm prepared to lose a chunk of money on this and I'd rather do that than look back with regret if I'd stayed out and missed a life changing opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                      that's clever isn't it, you can only purchase the coins using BTC or ETH.

If it looks like a pyramid, and smells like a pyramid,

Milan.
                      No you plank.
                      That's BTC and ETH being used as a unit of exchange. There's a word for that I think.
                      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                      X