• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cryptocurrency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VirtualMonkey View Post
    Exactly this
    Do you mean you borrowed physical BTC to sell, i.e. a real short position.

Or as I understand it you just sold your long position in BTC and are simply waiting to buy in again? So you're actually making profit from the price fall.

I only ask because I would be interested in shorting it. The only real way appear to be by shorting investment trusts like GBTC but price movements do not always correspond so well.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post

Or as I understand it you just sold your long position in BTC and are simply waiting to buy in again? So you're actually making profit from the price fall.

I only ask because I would be interested in shorting it. The only real way appear to be by shorting investment trusts like GBTC but price movements do not always correspond so well.
      No borrowing involved.
      Most of us traded BTC back into USD yesterday and the price for BTC has now just dropped below the price I traded out at...so effectively if I buy back now I'll get more than I sold.
      Your friendly neighbourhood VirtualMonkey - Not giving financial advice since...well...ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent View Post
        Nope, I'm staying out for now. You still think it will drop right down to $10k?
        30-50% off the ATH is likely, so $11k anyway to the trend line. But ofter a panic will result in over sold coins so $9k is possible.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Just my own thoughts but....using the previous trend line (from before this manic stage) and assuming the downward channel (i know it's roughly drawn) stays about the same, we should see about 12.5k this evening
          who knows what the US will do to this idea though
          Your friendly neighbourhood VirtualMonkey - Not giving financial advice since...well...ever.

Comment

If you must trade alt-coins right now, trade with those that are paired with the $ as well as BTC. As such LTC and ETC are good bets right now...
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I have a conditional trade set so that if the price hits 9600 then I'll try and buy at 9300...50% profit(ish) based on originally exiting at about 14400

Comment

double double head and shoulders - this could get ugly...

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post

I've said it a few times in this thread: you can borrow to short on Poloniex. There's probably other exchanges you can too.

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualMonkey View Post
                    I have a conditional trade set so that if the price hits 9600 then I'll try and buy at 9300...50% profit(ish) based on originally exiting at about 14400
                    Have done this in the past, 9/10 I've ended catching falling knives.

I'd advice waiting to see when the next uptrend begins rather than second guessing the market. It could continue to plunge to $7k or $4.5k which it was trading for only 60 days ago.
                    Last edited by scooterscot; 8 December 2017, 12:12.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                      If you must trade alt-coins right now, trade with those that are paired with the $ as well as BTC. As such LTC and ETC are good bets right now...
                      DLAVrov thinks LTC is good to go now too
                      https://www.tradingview.com/chart/LT...y-Opportunity/

Comment

Working...
                      X