• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh Dear: This is going to be interesting vat on private school fees

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    So would it be sensible to put double VAT on the expensive élite public schools on the basis that the people who send their kids there will probably pay it anyway, providing more funding for the state school system? Or to give VAT exemptions to parents paying for private schools if their income is under a defined level?
    That would be more sensitive than what Corbyn is proposing

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
      The reason why you have poverty in this country is because the education system totally sucks. by only paying attention to the poorly performing pupils and not to the bright ones parents are forced to send their children to private and grammar schools. Many other countries do not have a private sector at all and are outperforming the Uk in education on all levels, basically because there are different streams of education for poor medium and high performing pupils, not forcing the same GCSE's on everybody

Are you suggesting that only rich people have bright kids?
      Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
        Are you suggesting that only rich people have bright kids?
        Where am I saying that? My point is that parents who are not rich, but just can scrap the school fees together for private education, won't be able to afford it anymore when VAT is introduced, pushing them into the public sector and making things there even worse financially and I did mention grammar schools, but the communist/Corbynist left are against those as well

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          Why isn't there VAT on school fees anyway?

Free school meals for all doesn't sound like a terrible policy. In fact I'm sure the LibDems came out with that one a couple of years ago.
          I agree with both points... I don't have strong feelings on either but I am rather surprised there isn't VAT on school fees as it is definitely a luxury item.

And free school meals doesn't cost much really, especially if you remove the red tape of figuring out who gets them. I had thought they'd partially reintroduced this anyway to be honest but maybe not? The wife's school is in a deprived area so it might be they all qualify, or maybe the littluns get it not the older ones?
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            I agree with both points... I don't have strong feelings on either but I am rather surprised there isn't VAT on school fees as it is definitely a luxury item.

And free school meals doesn't cost much really, especially if you remove the red tape of figuring out who gets them. I had thought they'd partially reintroduced this anyway to be honest but maybe not? The wife's school is in a deprived area so it might be they all qualify, or maybe the littluns get it not the older ones?

I agree, impose VAT on private school fees and maybe even increase VAT to 25%. I find it deplorable that there are rich IT contractors on here who probably binge on champagne every weekend who do not want to dip into their pocket to enable a poor kid to have a proper meal. I cannot wait for Corbyn to get into power so we can see the poor souls stuck on the bottom rung get a leg up. The Tories need to be bullied out of power for the next decade or so.

Comment

I wonder if there are newer members who don't realise FA is trolling and genuinely think he's a massive leftie

Comment

I wonder if there are newer members who don't realise FA is trolling and genuinely think he's a massive leftie

Comment

And free school meals doesn't cost much really, especially if you remove the red tape of figuring out who gets them.
                  In a way it's a bit strange that the state gives parents free child care, by force, but doesn't feed the children whilst they're there. Criminals get free meals in prison but school kids have to pay.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    In a way it's a bit strange that the state gives parents free child care, by force, but doesn't feed the children whilst they're there. Criminals get free meals in prison but school kids have to pay.
                    Criminals food is disgusting.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      Criminals food is disgusting.
                      On a par with hospital?

Comment

Working...
                      X