• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The real reason for bremainer moans

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Social media and cryptic crosswords keep you quiet while you are asset stripped! I can't believe there are not riots in the tea shops of Tunbridge Wells. Bicester should be on fire, with middle class rage. Sevenoaks should be burning copies of "rich dad, poor dad" on a bomb fire topped with a straw doll couplet of Cameron and Osborne. People should be having tantric sex in the streets and necking bottles of Pinot Grigio while they can still afford it.

Comment

Originally posted by Fronttoback View Post
      Social media and cryptic crosswords keep you quiet while you are asset stripped! I can't believe there are not riots in the tea shops of Tunbridge Wells. Bicester should be on fire, with middle class rage. Sevenoaks should be burning copies of "rich dad, poor dad" on a bomb fire topped with a straw doll couplet of Cameron and Osborne. People should be having tantric sex in the streets and necking bottles of Pinot Grigio while they can still afford it.
      I agree that anyone who thinks investing in the UK now is a good idea (apart from certain very well defined and narrow sectors) is a mug.
      But if you have already made your money out of the property boom and it is invested abroad + you have cross-border, in demand skills, then everything's cushty.

PS Your hypothetical plumber had better have made his moolah already, if the middle class collapses as you say, there'll be no one to hire him to create that waterfall-effect, step-in shower.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        I agree that anyone who thinks investing in the UK now is a good idea (apart from certain very well defined and narrow sectors) is a mug.
        But if you have already made your money out of the property boom and it is invested abroad + you have cross-border, in demand skills, then everything's cushty.

PS Your hypothetical plumber had better have made his moolah already, if the middle class collapses as you say, there'll be no one to hire him to create that waterfall-effect, step-in shower.
        Why?

Is it because we may have to look at a different way to trade with 27 of the approx 200 countries we currently trade with?

Not sure that is a reason not to invest?

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
          Why?

Is it because we may have to look at a different way to trade with 27 of the approx 200 countries we currently trade with?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_model_of_trade

In short the longer the distance the less trade you get.

Comment

I think someone's let FrontToBack near Ayn Rand's books again.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Why?

But first you have to broker new trade agreements with those 200 countries...BTW, there are officially only 196 countries in the world but as leavers have numerous fantasies then I'll let have the extra imaginary countries
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_model_of_trade

In short the longer the distance the less trade you get.
                Ladies & Gentleman I introduce the shipping container, which drives down costs and therefore makes the gravity model far less important.

https://economics.fiu.edu/events/201...feb-3-2013.pdf

That Chinese Keyboard you are typing on with that Thai Hard drive and the Chinese processor probably support this.

Typical Bremainer left back in the 1960s. Desperate to be part of the EUSSR.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                  But first you have to broker new trade agreements with those 200 countries...BTW, there are officially only 196 countries in the world but as leavers have numerous fantasies then I'll let have the extra imaginary countries
                  what part of the word 'approx' do you not understand!

i did know this cos I googled it like you did

is Taiwan a country?

Comment

Why?

Those 27 countries form the bulk of our trade (45% of goods and about 60% of services).
                    We trade more with Ireland than with China, for example. Australia is about 1.7%, Canada about the same (i.e.negligible).
                    Since the current open market system is the most efficient, any "different way to trade with 27" as you put it, is going to be worse than what we have now even if we have a "good deal".
                    So the question is not whether the UK economy will be adversely affected, but by how much.

Secondly the UK, post Brexit, will be a small and declining market with only 60 million people (compared to 320 million in the US, 420 million in the EU, I billion in India and China). Not a priority for most companies, alhough there will be some profit to be made in certain sectors.
                    I personally know the MD of a high tech company in pharma moving the whole company to Zug because he'll have a larger market and to avoid uncertainty with hiring. There must be many others thinking along those lines.

There will be much lower economic growth than current trend of 2%, if in fact there is growth (I suspect there will be but it will be anaemic, in the 0-1% region).

As for housing, I'm not sure, but I'm glad I've stashed my BTL profits abroad.

And lastly, unless Greek style austerity is imposed, the national debt will grow faster than it would pre-Brexit if only because sterling is weak and everything will cost more.
                    Last edited by sasguru; 30 March 2017, 09:39.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                      Ladies & Gentleman I introduce the shipping container, which drives down costs and therefore makes the gravity model far less important.

https://economics.fiu.edu/events/201...feb-3-2013.pdf

That Chinese Keyboard you are typing on with that Thai Hard drive and the Chinese processor probably support this.

Typical Bremainer left back in the 1960s. Desperate to be part of the EUSSR.
                      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...orts_in_Europe
                      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                      X