• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting and working and living short term UP NORTH

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stek View Post
    Yagdar is my favourite, Northern Quarter. Total shiit hole, wonky tables, plastic chairs, surly staff, poor English, gorgeous curries!!

Probably 0.5 Food Hygiene rating too but who cares, bit of scum off the floor builds up the anti-bodies!

https://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/yadgar-cafe-manchester
    I think that's where I went when I had my inaugural 'rice and 3'. Weird idea, probably ok for a lunchtime but I wouldn't fancy it for a proper meal. Reminded me of school lunchtime.

Comment

Yagdar is my favourite, Northern Quarter. Total shiit hole, wonky tables, plastic chairs, surly staff, poor English, gorgeous curries!!

Probably 0.5 Food Hygiene rating too but who cares, bit of scum off the floor builds up the anti-bodies!

https://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/yadgar-cafe-manchester
      This is my favourite London place. You have to write down your own order and take it up to the counter, and their claim to fame is that they are the favourite restaurant of the actor who played Dr Legg in Eastenders. I hear they have inside toilets now as well.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaur...n_England.html

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
        This is my favourite London place. You have to write down your own order and take it up to the counter, and their claim to fame is that they are the favourite restaurant of the actor who played Dr Legg in Eastenders. I hear they have inside toilets now as well.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaur...n_England.html
        For rice and three, I prefer this Thai place:
        https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restau...n_England.html

Plenty of spicy dishes available.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

The best cheap 'n' nasty Indian in the Northern Quarter has gone yonks ago, actually was quite nice inside, just not very Indian, no flocked wallpaper, no fancy Raj chairs.

Was called 'Chandni' on the corner of High Street and Turner Street, cracking Dhansak, with multi-coloured pilau rice, hmmmm!

1994 ish, took my workmate for his first curry/spicy food, he was cacking it, heard all the madras/vindaloo horror stories and having your mouth burnt off, ended up loving it and wanting to go every lunchtime....

I had already been through that stage in Bolton, one night after work 1982 or so, forgot the name, was on Bradshawgate, my mate Gerbil advised me, Pakora = Indian Chicken Nuggets, and started me on a chicken korma, which just tasted of sugar to me even to my Bolton palate....

Comment

The best cheap 'n' nasty Indian in the Northern Quarter has gone yonks ago, actually was quite nice inside, just not very Indian, no flocked wallpaper, no fancy Raj chairs.

Was called 'Chandni' on the corner of High Street and Turner Street, cracking Dhansak, with multi-coloured pilau rice, hmmmm!

1994 ish, took my workmate for his first curry/spicy food, he was cacking it, heard all the madras/vindaloo horror stories and having your mouth burnt off, ended up loving it and wanting to go every lunchtime....

I had already been through that stage in Bolton, one night after work 1982 or so, forgot the name, was on Bradshawgate, my mate Gerbil advised me, Pakora = Indian Chicken Nuggets, and started me on a chicken korma, which just tasted of sugar to me even to my Bolton palate....
            My first curry was on Brick Lane in east London in the mid-80's, before the hipsters moved in. I had a korma as well and was quite enjoying it. Mate I was with had summat different and was raving about it so I asked him what it was. "It's called a Phall, try some" was the reply.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
              My first curry was on Brick Lane in east London in the mid-80's, before the hipsters moved in. I had a korma as well and was quite enjoying it. Mate I was with had summat different and was raving about it so I asked him what it was. "It's called a Phall, try some" was the reply.
              I remember going to an Indian from work in Dumfries, on Buccleuch street, huge place, one of the lads (from Carlisle) giving it all the bravado crap sent his Phal back for being too mild.

We'll never know for sure what he got back!

Comment

You should have had a bit of wet on it, luv!

Comment

That was called a few different names down the years. Very plush compared to This and That, which is one minute away round the corner on Soap Street.

The Rajdoot on Albert Square is more upmarket and saves a trek down to Rusholme if you want a decent restaurant in the centre.

Zouk down near the old BBC is very good too.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

If ever in Leeds try this place, absolutely wonderful food, on Mill Hill very near the station, doesn't even look like curry as we know it, superbly presented and very colourful - and the best I've ever tasted by miles...

Tharavadu | Michelin Recommended Kerala Restaurant in UK

Comment

If ever in Leeds try this place, absolutely wonderful food, on Mill Hill very near the station, doesn't even look like curry as we know it, superbly presented and very colourful - and the best I've ever tasted by miles...

Tharavadu | Michelin Recommended Kerala Restaurant in UK
                      Must have been past there 1000 times. I'll have to add it to the list

Comment

Working...
                      X