• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting and working and living short term UP NORTH

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    it's on my to-do list!
    If you do drink as alcohol is very expensive then buy some alcohol on the British side e.g. at the airport before you depart. It's easier then working out where the state alcohol shop is with it's weird pricing. If you don't manage to drink it then give it to any Icelander you befriend.

Oh and don't put your hair in the Blue Lagoon unless you want to damage it.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      If you do drink as alcohol is very expensive then buy some alcohol on the British side e.g. at the airport before you depart. It's easier then working out where the state alcohol shop is with it's weird pricing. If you don't manage to drink it then give it to any Icelander you befriend.

Oh and don't put your hair in the Blue Lagoon unless you want to damage it.
      Depends on what you want to drink. If you just want spirits then yes, pick some up in the duty free on the way there.

Otherwise, Iceland and especially Reykjavik, has a really good craft beer culture with some really good local breweries. It's not cheap, but there are some really good bars serving some really good beers. I can recommend the Bjor Gardurinn at the back of the Foss Hotel. 22 beers on tap and everyone a winner. They do really good burgers as well.

Icelanders have a weird attitude to alcohol. Knock off a bottle of Vodka on a Saturday night and no-one bats an eyelid. Have a glass of wine with dinner on a Wednesday and you have a drink problem
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
        Please tell me you aren't categorising the Susex 'Ouse' as a river? It's nowt but a tiny stream that almost runs dry in the summer.
        I never said it was a good river. I never said I classified it as a river. I also stated that it isn't the Yorkshire Ouse, being well aware that it is not comparable in the slightest. It's just one of the many rivers in Sussex and seems to be the only one you found. Blimey. I must have touched a nerve, or you have some 'Ouse' issues.

The Arun, which was the second fastest river in the UK (not sure if that's still the case), has quite an extensive flood plain which you can see from the Arun valley line if you're ever unlucky enough to take that train route down from Victoria (it's slow and tedious, even when Southern are running a full service). When that floods, it doesn't really hit the news as people aren't daft enough to build too much on the flood plain; it's just farmers who suffer.

Ah so you tried Brighton for a curry. Brighton is a tuliphole; I can see why you were disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
          I take it you've never tried proper South Indian food?
          I'm talking about the the basic style that you will find in 95% of Indian Restaurants in the UK. I only seem to find a depth and variety of flavour and a fiery strength around Birmingham and Bradford. These are based upon Bengali dishes as LondonManc pointed out and hence are Northern Indian food, not Southern.

I recall when baltis started appearing on the menus around the Birmingham area and within 2 years had become a staple of every Indian restaurant in the country. I'm sure the Bengalis would be appalled at what we have done to their cuisine, but the best examples of our take on it are found in the Bradford and Birmingham regions.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed View Post
            I'm talking about the the basic style that you will find in 95% of Indian Restaurants in the UK. I only seem to find a depth and variety of flavour and a fiery strength around Birmingham and Bradford. These are based upon Bengali dishes as LondonManc pointed out and hence are Northern Indian food, not Southern.

I recall when baltis started appearing on the menus around the Birmingham area and within 2 years had become a staple of every Indian restaurant in the country. I'm sure the Bengalis would be appalled at what we have done to their cuisine, but the best examples of our take on it are found in the Bradford and Birmingham regions.
            Well if you ever get the opportunity I would recommend a good south Indian, preferably with Formica tables or similar.

Comment

Well if you ever get the opportunity I would recommend a good south Indian, preferably with Formica tables or similar.
              Don't they hurt your teeth?

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed View Post

The dishes are made up.

Also South Indian restaurants, as LM said, make different curries. So do Nepalese restaurants. Though I suspect their dishes are made up to.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  The dishes are made up.

Also South Indian restaurants, as LM said, make different curries. So do Nepalese restaurants. Though I suspect their dishes are made up to.
                  Generally Nepalese, in this country, for me.
                  My local is far better than most of those recognised areas to eat curry in London.

To even be remotely proper the spices should be prepared fresh each day, IMO the meat should be marinated too.
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Ah, now then. Here's a place you *should* visit in Manchester rather than the fancy restaurants serving cat madras down the curry mile:
                    This & That Cafe Manchester – Home of Rice & Three Curries

Absolutely legendary place.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                      Ah, now then. Here's a place you *should* visit in Manchester rather than the fancy restaurants serving cat madras down the curry mile:
                      This & That Cafe Manchester – Home of Rice & Three Curries

Absolutely legendary place.
                      Yagdar is my favourite, Northern Quarter. Total shiit hole, wonky tables, plastic chairs, surly staff, poor English, gorgeous curries!!

Probably 0.5 Food Hygiene rating too but who cares, bit of scum off the floor builds up the anti-bodies!

https://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/yadgar-cafe-manchester

Comment

Working...
                      X