• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Estonia E-residency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Wooosh. That is the sound of sarcasm going over your head.

Are you aware it is a minimum aggressive avoidance and probably evasion?
    The answer was technically correct, in that he can do that and pay 20% tax to Estonia. It just missed out the bit about paying full taxes to HMRC as well.

Comment

Just trying to find out how all this works... Not sure how a one-word answer can be construed as sarcasm.
      Last edited by Malcovitch; 13 December 2017, 08:28.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
        The answer was technically correct, in that he can do that and pay 20% tax to Estonia. It just missed out the bit about paying full taxes to HMRC as well.
        I've come across differing rules on VAT through invoicing in one country while being registered in another.

Comment

Originally posted by Malcovitch View Post
          I've come across differing rules on VAT through invoicing in one country while being registered in another.
          Have you come across the rules on residence and place of supply?

Comment

Have you come across the rules on residence and place of supply?
            Yes, but as I've said before, I'm trying to find out if it's possible here and if so, how it works. There are people doing it in the Eurozone, after all.

Comment

Yes, but as I've said before, I'm trying to find out if it's possible here and if so, how it works. There are people doing this in the Eurozone, after all.
              If you have a valid business reason for arranging your affairs in this way you've received the answer that yes, it is possible, but you may be missing the part where not only are you paying tax to Estonia, you may also be required to pay tax in the UK.

You've also received the answer that if you are doing this for tax purposes only it is likely that even if you negotiated all relevant residency, deemed residency, place of supply rules, this may be considered to be aggressive tax avoidance or evasion.

I'd be surprised if people are doing this legally in other EU countries, and wouldn't base my tax decisions on what other people in other jurisdictions are doing. There are a number of posters here who will tell you that just because other people are doing something, this doesn't make it legal in the eyes of HMRC.

Comment

@woohoo, @ northernladyuk I presume you'd have to invoice straight into your Estonian account, is that right? Would it be zero VAT in that case?
                I expect so. I am assuming of course that you are physically present in Estonia and doing the actual work while there.

Comment

No sarcasm at all. It is perfectly possible. Just a terrible idea.

Comment

If you have a valid business reason for arranging your affairs in this way you've received the answer that yes, it is possible, but you may be missing the part where not only are you paying tax to Estonia, you may also be required to pay tax in the UK.

You've also received the answer that if you are doing this for tax purposes only it is likely that even if you negotiated all relevant residency, deemed residency, place of supply rules, this may be considered to be aggressive tax avoidance or evasion.
                    I'm not hugely well informed on these things, hence my asking what some people here think is a daft question.

I'd be surprised if people are doing this legally in other EU countries, and wouldn't base my tax decisions on what other people in other jurisdictions are doing. There are a number of posters here who will tell you that just because other people are doing something, this doesn't make it legal in the eyes of HMRC.
                    Of course. I do find it surprising myself. Thanks for your time.
                    Last edited by Malcovitch; 13 December 2017, 09:52.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                      No sarcasm at all. It is perfectly possible. Just a terrible idea.
                      Far better to go via the BrilloScheme! QC approved! You keep 99% of invoice amount.

Paying 98% to your ex-wive is a small price to pay. As is a few decades in jail.

Comment

Working...
                      X