• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Universal Laptop charger

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Universal Laptop charger

Originally posted by SandyD View Post
    I was hoping someone had experience with this universal charger from Dixon and figured out if there is a way it can fit or something.
    Push the connector that is the same shape as the socket found on the laptop into the laptop, then plug in to a wall socket (assuming you have an international adaptor for that?).

If it doesn't fit, you don't have the right connector(s).

HTH.
    Last edited by PurpleGorilla; 1 March 2017, 09:07.
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Unless you have a universal laptop, a universal charger won't work. HTH

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
        Unless you have a universal laptop, a universal charger won't work. HTH
        Universal laptops work with any charger.

Comment

Originally posted by SandyD View Post
          I am working in Europe traveled today to get to work, I realised I forgot my laptop charger, so quickly bought a universal laptop charger from Dixons at the airport, my laptop brand was on it, and I specifically asked the sales person about it ... because I was in a hurry to catch the flight I didn't open it there, and as expected, when I arrived and tried to use it, it didn't fit
          So am stuck here two weeks with no laptop charger... any ideas?

What brand/model of laptop have you?
          What is its power requirement?

If you were in France or Belgium, I'd suggest Carrefour/Auchan/FNAC.
          If you were in Denmark, best would be to try somewhere like ComputerCity or Merlin

Widetech Universal 90 Watt laptop PSU

https://www.merlin.dk/Baerbar-Oplader

The problems with "universal" power supplies are normally:
          1. It is not powerful enough for the laptop
          2. The connectors might be plugged in the wrong way round (reverse polarity), laptop goes pop.
          3. The wrong connector is used, so it doesn't make a good contact with the socket.
          4. The person buying the power supply doesn't know, or won't tell the brand/model of the laptop, or where they are going to, so the power supply might be perfectly adequate, but those providing help are just stabbing in the dark.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            What brand/model of laptop have you?
            What is its power requirement?

If you were in Denmark, best would be to try somewhere like ComputerCity or Merlin

Widetech Universal 90 Watt laptop PSU

https://www.merlin.dk/Baerbar-Oplader

The problems with "universal" power supplies are normally:
            1. It is not powerful enough for the laptop
            2. The connectors might be plugged in the wrong way round (reverse polarity), laptop goes pop.
            3. The wrong connector is used, so it doesn't make a good contact with the socket.
            4. The person buying the power supply doesn't know, or won't tell the brand/model of the laptop, or where they are going to, so the power supply might be perfectly adequate, but those providing help are just stabbing in the dark.
            He won't reply to helpful suggestions in case we are stalking him.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Well, you might not be stalking him...

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                Ah, but what about if she is in Romania? I like guessing games - give us some more clues, Sandy!
                First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

Originally posted by RonBW View Post
                  Ah, but what about if she is in Romania?
                  Then the laptop will be nicked from her hotel room whilst she is out at work and the problem is resolved.

Comment

Originally posted by RonBW View Post
                    Ah, but what about if she is in Romania? I like guessing games - give us some more clues, Sandy!
                    And is Sandy male or female?
                    Is the laptop power supply connector male or female?
                    While the human gender is irrelevant, the connector gender is worth knowing. Will we ever find out?

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      He happens to be a She... and I don't reply because a) I happen to be busy and b)-as I mentioned last night, I resolved the issue, its no longer an issue as I decided to use my work laptop for my essential stuff until I get home next weekend... so calm down Sue !!

Comment

Working...
                      X