• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Business Rates Rises

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    I was talking to a pub owner a couple of weeks ago, and their annual council tax in rural Devon is almost £40,000 a year. No wonder so many pubs are closing!
    And that's why you see all these old pubs that are no longer profitable going for ridiculously low prices.

My own local which was set in nearly an acre of grounds went for £200k. Of course, the person who bought it still had to pay the swingeing rates on it until he got the change of use permission granted.

And that took 3 years.....

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Yes but they make that profit margin after paying the 19p currently (if my figures are even close). Rates aren't going up by 19p a pint,

blah, blah, blah ...
      FFS, why do you _always_ have to try and defend the completely indefensible?

You're like that knight errant Don Quixote, determined to find some cause to champion, and tilting at windmills.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
        And that's why you see all these old pubs that are no longer profitable going for ridiculously low prices.

My own local which was set in nearly an acre of grounds went for £200k. Of course, the person who bought it still had to pay the swingeing rates on it until he got the change of use permission granted.

And that took 3 years.....
        Changing a property from business to domestic use means the government loses money.

Some office blocks near me that have been empty for years are now flats. One of them actually had a newsagent and a nightclub in the structure, which were both open until they got the planning permission. The newsagent owners were really old and clearly wanted to retire.

Anyway it took about 10 years of them being empty before the change of use was granted.

On the other hand if the change of use is for a Housing Association I've noticed within a year they have their planning permission...
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Had a blinding idea if I ever wanted to open my place as a pub, which all the local farmers and residents have been beseeching me to do since I moved to Devon.

Claim it is a B&B, where the guests all kip on folding beds in the same large room, like a down-market youth hostel if you like, then charge the regulars say a pound for the night so they can then drink as hotel guests (and not of course bother staying the night, unless they end up literally too legless to drive home).

Comment

Had a blinding idea if I ever wanted to open my place as a pub, which all the local farmers and residents have been beseeching me to do since I moved to Devon.

Claim it is a B&B, where the guests all kip on folding beds in the same large room, like a down-market youth hostel if you like, then charge the regulars say a pound for the night so they can then drink as hotel guests (and not of course bother staying the night, unless they end up literally too legless to drive home).
            The classic description of an illegal doss house then
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
              But a great way to avoid the Mrs and that inevitable nagging you're going to get coming home half-cut.

Comment

Ah but the point is nobody would be dossing there, or that would be the idea anyway.

Charging a token amount for the night is just to ensure they are technically hotel guests, and the place isn't a public house.

Comment

Ah but the point is nobody would be dossing there, or that would be the idea anyway.

Charging a token amount for the night is just to ensure they are technically hotel guests, and the place isn't a public house.
                  We are talking down in Devon here, are you sure you have thought this through?

I can see it all ending like this:-

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I can see it all ending like this:-
                    HUH! How did you get that picture of my sitting room?!

Comment

You can just make it a members club.

The [name of random place nearby] working mens club.

Then you don't have to put people up.

You can charge £10 per year for membership.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X