• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Listening to Teresa May's nauseating, fawning, grovelling speech .....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    No. May should not go over there at all. At least for 6 months to a year. She's gone over too early like an eager puppy wishing to please its master.

Trump should be allowed to be seen settling into the job, he might not even be in the job in six months. How will May feel then? Like a right £$@!

A plan rushed is no plan at all.
    She is not trying to secure a trade deal with Trump she is trying to secure a trade deal with the other 300 million americans.

She just has to deal with Trump as he happens to be the incumbent president at the point when we want to open trade talks.

If it had happened 3 years ago and she was doing the same with Obama it will be different.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
      He was a very good backbench MP, and should have stayed there. He can't even hold a shadow cabinet together for more than about 5 mins. The principal job of the Leader of Her Majesty's Opposition is to oppose (the clue is in the name) and he is utterly useless at it.
      The only people who support him are the 300k radical marxist 6th formers who voted him in as Leader. 90% of his MPs fear their seats are at considerable risk as long as he is in charge.
      Now, what were you saying about dimwitted feckwits?
      I thought the point of any political party was to represent the views of its members and supporters, whether or not they directly oppose the party in power. This is what I hate about politics that just because one party proposes something, the other parties have some obligation to oppose it even if it makes good sense??

I consider myself fairly politically neutral and I actually like Corbyn (no I'm not flamebaiting). He actually seems to speak his mind regardless of how popular his views are, unlike some spineless MPs who blow with the prevailing wind. I'd more seriously consider voting Labour under Corbyn than any of the previous leaders and I don't actually see why some Labour supports have such hatred for him when he clearly has a lot of popular support and I would genuinely like someone to explain their reasoning to me.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
        Right so May should just go over there and be a dick to the new president. The largest military and economic power in the world.

Of course she has to build a relationship with him, though I doubt how much influence she will have with someone like him - but she has to try.
        Yes she does have to try, but she really does not have anything to entice him with. I mean what does Donald Want? Well we all know the answer to that one, but our dear Teresa does not, how shall we say, posses the required assets sought by the grabber in chief.
        Now if the Penny Mordaunt were PM that would be a different story

Britain's sexiest MPs | Pictures | Pics | Daily Express

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
          I agree with you. But...

Should she have declined his invite?
          If she'd have gone in six months, one can only imagine the press headlines about 'back of the queue', so there is something symbolic about going over there first.

The reality is there is no deal to be had with the current POTUS. Or rather any deal would be on their terms, completely one sided, and would be terrible for us to enter into. Such a deal would be far worse than how we trade with them now.
          Probably not but could have postponed the date.

I'd rather be back of the queue than handed a trade deal with all sorts of concessions that may leave us more bitter those free trades deals we had with the EU.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Willapp View Post
            I thought the point of any political party was to represent the views of its members and supporters,
            The problem for JC is that he is only representing the views of the members, whilst the huge swathe of Parliamentary Labour MPs that oppose him are representing the supporters. (Supporters being those who might vote Labour but have not signed up to be Party members).

Hope this helps
            “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
              She is not trying to secure a trade deal with Trump she is trying to secure a trade deal with the other 300 million americans..
              That frightens me. Quality of American products and services would give China a run for its money.

They are cash grabbing, short-term goal obsessed capitalists. I can well imagine British companies down the line being sued left right and centre because cousin Brett nicked his finger on a splinter from a wooden spoon made in 'Hampshire's Crafts Ltd' and has had to take 12 months off his six figured salary as a result.

It'll all end in tears.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                One whiff of privitising the NHS and the electorate will give them a right kicking. Corbyn will be gone so the might even have a bit of competition. The British public aren't as daft as you think.

..."If we left the EU, we would end this sterile debate, and we would have to recognise that most of our problems are not caused by “Bwussels”, but by chronic British short-termism, inadequate management, sloth, low skills, a culture of easy gratification and under-investment in both human and physical capital and infrastructure..."
                -Boris Johnson 2013

Yet a majority of the electorate followed this joker to vote to leave the EU, Sorry but I really can't agree with the 'Not daft' sentiment

Comment

Which bit was BoJo joking about then? Given that we're off we won't have any excuses not to implement stuff that's good for us.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    That frightens me. Quality of American products and services would give China a run for its money.

They are cash grabbing, short-term goal obsessed capitalists. I can well imagine British companies down the line being sued left right and centre because cousin Brett nicked his finger on a splinter from a wooden spoon made in 'Hampshire's Crafts Ltd' and has had to take 12 months off his six figured salary as a result.

It'll all end in tears.
                    In the US consumer regulation is done by people suing the company in a class lawsuit. Even then that doesn't always work and another company releases a dangerous product until they also get sued.

In the UK consumer regulation is done by laws made in the UK - yes you do have to get the likes of Watchdog and celebrities to bring causes to the public and the media consciousness but at least it decreases the number of lawyers earning a living.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by sirja View Post
                      ..."If we left the EU, we would end this sterile debate, and we would have to recognise that most of our problems are not caused by “Bwussels”, but by chronic British short-termism, inadequate management, sloth, low skills, a culture of easy gratification and under-investment in both human and physical capital and infrastructure..."
                      -Boris Johnson 2013

Yet a majority of the electorate followed this joker to vote to leave the EU, Sorry but I really can't agree with the 'Not daft' sentiment
                      Conclusive and irrefutable proof. Thank you for correcting me. Still now that we are, I guess we had better pull our socks up.

Comment

Working...
                      X