• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scottish trade with UK four times that of trade with eu

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chopper View Post
    It is probably a good thing for NI in the long run if its Deputy Leader isn't a murdering terrorist.
    He's retired due to a dodgy heart. There's a new version albeit with similar family 'connections'.

Comment

The cost of living in Scotland is much lower than 'other parts of the UK', so wages would be lower.
      Why has that got anything to do with my employer in a union of equals?

I recall asking my employer once, or suggesting at least, inflation has been 2.5% last year perhaps my salary should reflect that. The response, what has inflation got to do with us?

And they're quite right. It has nothing to do with them.

There's a reason why wages are depressed in the UK, it's a massive problem. If wages increased Scotland's exports to the England would increase by billions.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I know that, but I'm using scooterscot's wet dream here. The reality is an independent Scotland would not be in the EU. But being a member of the EU is not the crown jewels he thinks it is anyway.

Sturgeon would find that out with the European Union not being a Union of equals. Scotland has six MEPs. Its voice wouldn't even be the tiniest squeak.
        Scotland would not leave the EU, it would retains the UK's membership whilst England and Wales leave both unions.

As someone said before, if the EU wishes it, it'll become that.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          Are you talking about the disparity between northern and southern EU countries?

Comment

Scotland would not leave the EU, it would retains the UK's membership whilst England and Wales leave both unions.

As someone said before, if the EU wishes it, it'll become that.
            But the only possibility of Indyref2 is if Theresa May wishes it.

So best hunker down and wait for the next "once in a lifetime opportunity" to rock up.

Probably be about 2039!!
            “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

My five-year-old occasionally moans incessantly about things in the mistaken belief that it will come to pass.

Comment

The employer chooses to pay less. They aren't forced to by government. (As someone else points out, contractor rates in Edinburgh can be higher than in Manchester.)

Indeed, the minimum wage and benefits are the same, north or south of the border. Sounds like a union of equals to me.

Now if HMG said the minimum wage in Scotland was to be 10% lower than in England, or that SMP/SPP/SSP would be lower in Scotland, that would be proof of not being a union of equals. That the employer chooses to pay less is simply your employer taking advantage of market forces. The EU wont fix this.

Do you think Sturgeon, independent of the UK, will raise the minimum wage or other statutory benefits above that of the UK?
                Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Scotland couldn't afford the UK's membership fees. Besides, there will be no UK membership for Scotland to retain. Scotland will not gain independence from the UK before the UK leaves the EU.

Scotland voted to REMAIN in the UK. You are one (remote) voice. You don't speak for the majority of Scottish people.
                  Scotland didn't have a vote on remaining in the EU, the UK did. Scotland didn't vote to remain, the UK collectively voted to leave.
                  Taking a break from contracting

Comment

The employer chooses to pay less. They aren't forced to by government. (As someone else points out, contractor rates in Edinburgh can be higher than in Manchester.)

Indeed, the minimum wage and benefits are the same, north or south of the border. Sounds like a union of equals to me.

Now if HMG said the minimum wage in Scotland was to be 10% lower than in England, or that SMP/SPP/SSP would be lower in Scotland, that would be proof of not being a union of equals. That the employer chooses to pay less is simply your employer taking advantage of market forces. The EU wont fix this.

Do you think Sturgeon, independent of the UK, will raise the minimum wage or other statutory benefits above that of the UK?
                    Maybe she will, if she's indeed a witch, there simply won't be any money to do it.

This will simply be down to the Barnett formula grants being removed and there will be less money than before.
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Scotland couldn't afford the UK's membership fees. Besides, there will be no UK membership for Scotland to retain. Scotland will not gain independence from the UK before the UK leaves the EU.

Scotland voted to REMAIN in the UK. You are one (remote) voice. You don't speak for the majority of Scottish people.
                      Scotland didn't have a vote on remaining in the EU, the UK did. Scotland didn't vote to remain, the UK collectively voted to leave.
                      Someone is loosing an argument... we're using upper case now.

Scotland voted more so to remain in the EU than the UK. The UK result was driven by EU nationals living in Scotland wishing to remain in the EU.

Comment

Working...
                      X