• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The What's your favourite Jeremy Corbyn policy thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Disagree with this. Ensuring people are healthy and well benefits everyone. Putting people off going to the hospital is surely not the answer. It should be a national goal to fund health care for all.

I'm happy to pay more in taxes. Agree NHS and social care are in a bad way but more effective investment is required.
    I agree it can't work for A&E (it's not really fair on A&E staff for one), but a £5 fee for working people for a GP or consultant visit wouldn't be so bad and would not just help with the funding gap but would help reduce the number of people that don't show up.

It seems to me one part of this that's clearly failed is paying for it out of general taxation. It would be better if there was a separate health care tax that was ring fenced and only spent on the NHS (or perhaps social care if required). And that would be listed on our payslips so everyone could see what it costs us.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      I agree it can't work for A&E (it's not really fair on A&E staff for one), but a £5 fee for working people for a GP or consultant visit wouldn't be so bad and would not just help with the funding gap but would help reduce the number of people that don't show up.
      Until you or someone close to you has suffered the effects of a tulip GP you won't understand why charging people is a bad idea. The NHS suffers from enough lawsuits already. You also don't get referred to a consultant unless you need one so there is little point charging for that.

Like with the prescription charges a simple charge like that would cost nearly as much to collect and administer as it costs, so the charge would have to be something like £50. Such a charge would mean those on minimum wage wouldn't go to the doctor so we would then have the problem of people spreading infectious diseases.

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      It seems to me one part of this that's clearly failed is paying for it out of general taxation. It would be better if there was a separate health care tax that was ring fenced and only spent on the NHS (or perhaps social care if required). And that would be listed on our payslips so everyone could see what it costs us.
      This is what NI was originally for. Unfortunately if we had a new tax it would eventually end up like NI under some government in the future.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
      X