• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Impressions of India

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Only ever been on business, but this time I have to admit the place got under my skin.
    Planning a holiday there next high season. Wouldn't mind a luxury train trip up North:

India Luxury Trains 4u | Enter The World of Great Rail Journeys

But first I have to get over my depression at coming back to this cold, grey, dismal weather, quite a come-down after the explosion of colour, sounds and smells that is India
    My granddad said they were excellent and he must have been almost 90 when he travelled on the Rajasthan one.
    Wouldn't mind it myself, as the standard trains are quite a challenge, apart from when you go 1st class and have a lockable compartment.

Some of the best train journey out there IMO, totally amazing.
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Only ever been on business, but this time I have to admit the place got under my skin.
      Planning a holiday there next high season. Wouldn't mind a luxury train trip up North:

But first I have to get over my depression at coming back to this cold, grey, dismal weather, quite a come-down after the explosion of colour, sounds and smells that is India
      I think it does that to you. I always felt quite at home there in a way I never experienced anywhere else.

I suppose it may have been due to it having been a former colony, and the language of course, but I had much of that in Cyprus and never quite "connected" the same way.
      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

(
        Get the 5.15 from Halifax to Bradford Interchange. Pretty much the same thing.
        When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
          I think it does that to you. I always felt quite at home there in a way I never experienced anywhere else.

I suppose it may have been due to it having been a former colony, and the language of course, but I had much of that in Cyprus and never quite "connected" the same way.
          Very true, hence why I have been back again and again, as have a lot of friends.

The pictures I took in 1988 when I was an 18 year old whipper snapper hippy raver have a surreal quality to them now.

Not one of mine, but from a similar time, on top of the world, Naggar, Kulu Valley.

Last edited by MrMarkyMark; 11 January 2017, 16:31.
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
            Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
            Very true, hence why I have been back again and again, as have a lot of friends.
            Well guys my advice is it's changing fast so go back soon, before what you remember doesn't exist any more.
            Some of those changes are for the better: sanitation, drastic reduction in the very poor, much more wealth.
            Some are not: North Goa seemed indistinguishable to me from any tacky Greek or Spanish resort, enter some of the new malls in Mumbai and you could be anywhere in the world.
            And so it goes, the world continues its march towards blandness and uniformity.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Well guys my advice is it's changing fast so go back soon, before what you remember doesn't exist any more.
              Some of those changes are for the better: sanitation, drastic reduction in the very poor, much more wealth.
              Some are not: North Goa seemed indistinguishable to me from any tacky Greek or Spanish resort, enter some of the new malls in Mumbai and you could be anywhere in the world.
              And so it goes, the world continues its march towards blandness and uniformity.
              They were going to build a mall behind the Taj Mahal a few years ago, they even managed to get as close to laying the first brick

Sounds like you need to get out more, something I plan to do more myself.

Go out and see things before you are too old and it's too late
              Last edited by MrMarkyMark; 11 January 2017, 17:18.
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

You should have come back to Portugal, In Lisbon today it's 18 ºC and sunny, well was...

Comment

According to Home Office minister Robert Goodwill:

“In April this year we are also bringing in the immigration skills charge for non-EEA skilled workers. If you want to recruit an Indian computer programmer on a four-year contract on top of the existing visa charges and the resident labour market test there will be a fee of £1,000 per year.

“So for a four-year contract that employer will need to pay a £4,000 immigration skills charge. That is something that currently applies to non-EU and it has been suggested to us that could be applied to EU.”
                  There you go. I doubt very much that companies will want to start paying that amount of money for the bottom of the pile IT workers so it's all good news for the PFY's on this forum

(Actually if you read it properly, he states that this will be for non-EEA workers yet already applies to non-EU workers which means it must already apply to Indian computer programmers...is that true?)
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I was reluctant to eat salads and the like, in the end I did with no issues, the 5-star hotels all apparently sterilise their veg, how I don't know.

Comment

Working...
                    X