• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bungalows

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
    I've been house hunting to no avail for a while now and have decided to widen my options.

Somebody suggested looking at bungalows because often they are roomier and airier - I mean big windows that let in more light and bigger rooms.

Anyone on here ever moved to the single storey lifestyle and decided they could never go back to a house with a staircase?
    A delicate question, but how old are you? Bungalows are good for the retired or soon to be (or basically those without families), they usually come with a good garden too
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

One of the Sarah Beeny programmes a while ago had some fella who made his money buying bungalows and then adding a dormer / attic conversion.

My in laws did the same to theirs to have more space - lost a tiny middle bedroom but gained a room the size of the whole building instead.

Might be worth looking into if you can't find a house you like.
      First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        A delicate question, but how old are you? Bungalows are good for the retired or soon to be (or basically those without families), they usually come with a good garden too
        I was talking to someone about bungalows just before Christmas and now families without disabled kids are moving into their semi-rural area. The main reason is there is more flexibility over how to configure and partition the rooms.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

We bought a 2 bed detached bungalow a couple of years ago on a large plot in a rural area (nice large village). All the rooms are much larger than our old 3 bed detached house and in fact the sq. footage is the same as the last place but with less bedrooms all on one floor.

Currently planning on rebuilding the garage to provide a utility room and more storage and then a loft conversion to add another 2 bedrooms and a bathroom.

We bought it because of the large plot (nice big garden for the kids) and the area it's in. If you can find a good one you will like it.

Comment

I pretty much grew up in a bungalow. My parents bought it for pennies about 30-odd years ago. It's on a large corner plot but annoyingly has a huge front garden and small back garden. Maintenance is easier as you can pretty much do everything with a step ladder.

I can't say a bungalow is any better than a house. Sometimes you get a bigger plot, sometimes not. What's more important is whether the location and layout work rather than whether you have an upstairs.

Comment

We've got a large (3000sq ft) 4 bed bungalow. My wife has Fibromyalgia and can't manage lots of stairs. We went from a 5 bed townhouse which was fine when the kids were growing up as everyone could have their own space but when the kids left, the house was not what we needed. The living space is open plan and spread out with high ceilings so seems huge and is great for entertaining. It's on a nice sprawling plot with neighbours at a reasonable distance. We wouldn't move back to a storied house unless we had to.
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by RonBW View Post
                One of the Sarah Beeny programmes a while ago had some fella who made his money buying bungalows and then adding a dormer / attic conversion.

My in laws did the same to theirs to have more space - lost a tiny middle bedroom but gained a room the size of the whole building instead.

Might be worth looking into if you can't find a house you like.
                I remember that episode, it was a fare while ago though 10-12 years maybe

it seemed to work out for the bloke but his family had to live through the building work which he largely did himself which must have been an absolute nightmare

Comment

Originally posted by filthy1980 View Post
                  I remember that episode, it was a fare while ago though 10-12 years maybe

it seemed to work out for the bloke but his family had to live through the building work which he largely did himself which must have been an absolute nightmare
                  Was it the episode where she wasn't pregnant?
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

To me the word bungalow screams "pensioner", and I'd never contemplate living in one. But they do have plus points, and are generally pretty saleable.

Ironically I have a two-bedroom single-storey annex to my main three storey house, and use it more like a large summer house. So I suppose in a way I have bought a bungalow after all.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      Was it the episode where she wasn't pregnant?
                      I don't there ever was an episode where she wasn't

Comment

Working...
                      X