• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Giving up booze - almost entirely

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chopper View Post
    I took up a hobby which left me with no money left over for alcohol
    You mean you got married?
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
      I drink too much. I know that. Not massively in binges, but regularly like a couple of pints and a couple of big shots (whiskey or rum or vodka + a mixer) every evening.

Jeepers.. Sounds like dependancy rather than quantity. Should give your liver a couple of days rest at least.

Father to two young ones and a self inflicted work load I'm all too aware the need for distraction.

Just stop for a week, don't make excuses. You'll feel mahousifily better.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        don't make excuses
        This.

Dealing with similar trying to lose weight.

If you don't want to do it, it won't happen.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
          Interesting comments there and nice to see many others here having had similar thoughts/experiences.

The social aspect is a big one for me. My friends are drinkers. My cousins are drinkers. So pretty much every single social occasion involves drinking to some degree - not so much the heavy sessions (I'm in my 40s now so can't deal with it ) but perhaps 3 or 4 pints or a few glasses of wine etc. I can't imagine sitting there with fizz water all night. And personally, having seen non-drinkers in a group, they tend to be ridiculously boring ... and you just know there's something dodgy about them

Isn't this the hardest part of giving up or at least drastically cutting down booze?
          Cut out the mid week every night drinking, and enjoy the sociable drink with friends.

Comment

Just make a rule to never drink two days on the trot.

Simples.

Comment

Originally posted by Fronttoback View Post
              Just make a rule to never drink two days on the trot.

Simples.
              And then you have two birthdays in a row or such thing.

Unless you have an excuse not to drink e.g. you have to run, cycle etc in the morning then it's unlikely to work.
              Last edited by SueEllen; 31 December 2016, 17:22.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                And then you have two birthdays in a row or such thing.

Unless you have an excuse not to drink e.g. you have to run, cycle etc in the morning then it's unlikely to work.
                Self discipline. Creating distractions will only get you so far. To be a drinker in control comes from self discipline, not distractions.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                  Cut out the mid week every night drinking, and enjoy the sociable drink with friends.
                  But....

Comment

I try to have at least as many non-drinking days as drinking days. I mainly try and drink on fridays and saturdays with maybe one night during the week too. You are never far away from the next beer/wine/scotch and having lime & soda or filter coffee/green tea evenings is actually quite enjoyable too.
                    So is the distinct absence of hangovers (which I seem to suffer quite badly from!!)
                    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by Fronttoback View Post
                      Self discipline. Creating distractions will only get you so far. To be a drinker in control comes from self discipline, not distractions.
                      And how do you get the self discipline?
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X