• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bad News for the Climate zealots

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    What is the percentage of CO2 in the atmosphere?

I'll help you out here, it's 0.04%.

200 years ago, it was around 0.033%. Given the worlds population has gone up by several billion, and almost every country is now chucking out emissions, it seems a rather small increase. Maybe, just maybe, CO2 isn't the real problem. It does smack a bit of convenient science to blame CO2 in that case.
    FTFY
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

What is the percentage of CO2 in the atmosphere?

I'll help you out here, it's 0.04%.

200 years ago, it was around 0.033%. Given the worlds population has gone up by several billion, and almost every country is now chucking out emissions, it seems a rather small increase. Maybe, just maybe, CO2 isn't the real problem. It does smack a bit of lazy science to blame CO2 in that case.
      The 'pre-industrial' number is generally given as around 270ppm, we're now at 400ppm. In other words, an increase of about 40%. Not trivial. The uncontested science translates this into around an extra 1.9W per square metre not escaping into space (Other greenhouse gases are also available) . We are in a radiative imbalance.

Objects with a radiative imbalance must get warmer, unless Donald Trump repealed the 2nd law of thermodynamics.
      My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

...and if you read the "against" arguments presented on here, "science is wrong" because it's all about money.
        That's because they get their science from the Daily Mail.

Trump's victory probably (I mean, who knows what he's going to do, this is a man who lied on average 20 times a day during the campaign) means a pause, at best, in attempts to reduce GHG emissions. So we get extreme hypothesis testing on the only planet we have.

I only hope that those who complained that their ability to fly away on foreign holidays might be constrained don't end up with nowhere worth flying to.

Comment

Outdoor temperature has dropped to -10c. That is very cold weather but in climat terms it’s global warming.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
            Outdoor temperature has dropped to -10c. That is very cold weather but in climat terms it’s global warming.
            I must have missed a memo. Did somebody predict the end of weather?

'Stochastic' is a beautiful word.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
              Anyone know what the ideal average temperature of the earth should be yet?
              The "ideal temperature", even if we can collapse the entire world climate into one number, is not the important thing. It's the RATE of change. The world has been MUCH warmer and MUCH colder than it is right now. Life is not equipped to cope with sudden change in climate as attested to by the 5 or so mass extinctions some caused by the emergence of life.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
                The 'pre-industrial' number is generally given as around 270ppm, we're now at 400ppm. In other words, an increase of about 40%. Not trivial. The uncontested science translates this into around an extra 1.9W per square metre not escaping into space (Other greenhouse gases are also available) . We are in a radiative imbalance.

Objects with a radiative imbalance must get warmer, unless Donald Trump repealed the 2nd law of thermodynamics.
                Sorry pal, you're really talking tulipe. What do you define as "pre-industrial"? I gave you a fact that you can't refute except with a blithering scientific hypothesis. Oh, I get it, you just changed the goalpoasts and the rules because you didn't like the result.

Edit - is there a way of spelling out the word S H I T without it being re-edited to tulip?
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Sorry pal, you're really talking tulipe. What do you define as "pre-industrial"? I gave you a fact that you can't refute except with a blithering scientific hypothesis. Oh, I get it, you just changed the goalpoasts and the rules because you didn't like the result.
                  The standard definition is 1750. As I said the existence of a radiative imbalance is uncontroversial, adding up all fluxes gives a net forcing of +0.6 watts per square metre.

If the incoming energy flux is not equal to the outgoing energy flux, the result is an energy imbalance, that amounts to net heat added to or lost by the planet (if the incoming flux is larger or smaller than the outgoing respectively). Earth's energy imbalance measurements provided by Argo floats have detected an accumulation of ocean heat content (OHC). The estimated imbalance was measured during a deep solar minimum of 2005-2010 to be 0.58 ± 0.15 W/m². Later research estimated the surface energy imbalance to be 0.60 ± 0.17 W/m².
                  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth'...ergy_imbalance

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiative_forcing

This is fundamental, uncontroversial science.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                    Snow in Saudi Arabia http://www.news.com.au/technology/en...2c6154416f104d

Play them at their own game

And do we know yet what the optimum climate for the world actually is?

http://www.sciencealert.com/the-worl...dioxide-levels
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      The "ideal temperature", even if we can collapse the entire world climate into one number, is not the important thing. It's the RATE of change. The world has been MUCH warmer and MUCH colder than it is right now. Life is not equipped to cope with sudden change in climate as attested to by the 5 or so mass extinctions some caused by the emergence of life.
                      so rates of change now are considerably faster than at any time in the last 500,000 years?

Comment

Working...
                      X