• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A quick Q to our German resident friends...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    Thanks, that's very helpful, especially as it may run over the 6 months. The other thorny question is should I ask for payment in sterling or euro? They have given me the option, and I'm not sure why.
    That's because the customer pays them in Euros, and their commission will be transferred into pounds. I would have thought you should just let them convert the whole payment in one transfer, they'll be making sure they get a good rate for themselves and hence you as well, and save you the hassle.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

How long does one have to be in a contract in Germany before having to register for personal tax etc. I'm considering an open ended contract and I need to know where I stand before I can quote a rate. I opened up at a suggested 800 Euros and not an eyelid was batted, maybe I can blame Brexit and whack another 20% on top?
      If this is Bavaria, you definitely want to ask exactly what's involved for €800 - that's a fairly niche rate.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
        If this is Bavaria, you definitely want to ask exactly what's involved for €800 - that's a fairly niche rate.
        I'm considering an open ended contract and I need to know where I stand before I can quote a rate. I opened up at a suggested 800 Euros and not an eyelid was batted, maybe I can blame Brexit and whack another 20% on top?
        Seems quite clear to me
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          That's because the customer pays them in Euros, and their commission will be transferred into pounds. I would have thought you should just let them convert the whole payment in one transfer, they'll be making sure they get a good rate for themselves and hence you as well, and save you the hassle.
          The other thing I may have forgotten to mention is the agency is not UK based. The fall in sterling seems to reinforce the view that I should go for the Euro option.
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

The other thing I may have forgotten to mention is the agency is not UK based. The fall in sterling seems to reinforce the view that I should go for the Euro option.
            Too many variables.

If you are going to be living in Germany and changing money to pounds in bulk then get paid in Euros.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
            X