• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Macbook Pro

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Were I running a monte Carlo simulation of up to 10,000 iterations it would be done in minutes compared to a machine I used to leave running overnight at the client's workplace.
    A MCS of what? That's like saying, "were I to run an algorithm". Any sort of mathematical or statistical modelling involving moderately large (e.g. space-time) datasets, and you're going to push up against that 16GB before long (unless it's something you can run externally, on distributed hardware). Really couldn't imagine buying a machine with 16GB RAM, but YMMV.

Comment

Yeah I thought they would offer a 32gb version with the upgrade you can configure a dell XPS with that, space issues maybe or a processor/motherboard limitation?

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
        A MCS of what? That's like saying, "were I to run an algorithm". Any sort of mathematical or statistical modelling involving moderately large (e.g. space-time) datasets, and you're going to push up against that 16GB before long (unless it's something you can run externally, on distributed hardware). Really couldn't imagine buying a machine with 16GB RAM, but YMMV.
        The simulations are not so much quantity as is quality. Those simulations are used to decide what aircraft should or should not be flying, for example.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
          Yeah I thought they would offer a 32gb version with the upgrade you can configure a dell XPS with that, space issues maybe or a processor/motherboard limitation?
          Space issues form what I've read. To maximize battery space the board is a custom design with everything as crammed in as possible and there just isn't the space
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

But you can install a 2TB SSD - ohh
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              Space issues form what I've read. To maximize battery space the board is a custom design with everything as crammed in as possible and there just isn't the space
              I can't understand their obsession with making it even thinner, they've reduced the size by 20% overall, maybe if they'd only reduced it by 19% they could have accommodated more ram...

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
                I can't understand their obsession with making it even thinner, they've reduced the size by 20% overall, maybe if they'd only reduced it by 19% they could have accommodated more ram...
                More ram costs more power. Ram vs SSD paging is negligible for most users. So a smaller,lighter, fast enough MacBook Pro that can be carried without a charger is better for the user.

I have a 16 gb 13 inch mac and since I moved to over to google docs and stoppped using windows, I charge it around 20 mins every 2 days.

I have a light a4 sleeve that carries my mac an iPad and a few lightening connectors and a EE MIFI box.

Compare that with the average PC guy and their over stuffed Swiss Army backpack.

One really nice feature of the latest OSX os is the way it's stores docs in iCloud. Didn't even bother to bring my laptop home this week. I just logged into the home Mac mini and all my stuff was there for me.

Comment

https://milen.me/writings/mac-platform-decline/
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Why does this individual expect to run HAL on a laptop?

I'm still using a 2007 Macbook pro for my piano, the machine just refuses to die. An update would serve no purpose.

Comment

Anyone got a laptop or PC with a TB RAM? Or near?

Comment

Working...
                      X