• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where are the treehuggers?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bernard Common
    Shut the fook up Blair
    Hell, dont confuse me with Blairs lot!

Comment

Originally posted by mmc71
      So how the f**k are you supposed to prove someone is guilty unless you "drag them through the legal system"? Quite apart from the fact he pleaded guilty!
      Look, I'll try and explain it simply. Chico feels safer because one deluded internet fantasist has been dragged through the courts. The real bad guys are still out there laughing at us as we cut off our hard won freedoms one by one.

Comment

Originally posted by Emperor Dalek
        Look, I'll try and explain it simply. Chico feels safer because one deluded internet fantasist has been dragged through the courts. The real bad guys are still out there laughing at us as we cut off our hard won freedoms one by one.
        This is the sort of blatant naivety which gets my goat. Terrorists and suicide bombers for that matter are not your normal criminals were after they commit the crime you arrest and try them in a court of law etc. With suicide bombers and terrorists the onus is on preventing them from carrying out their murderous activities. Do you get it?
        Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

Comment

Internet fantasist? Many young Muslim men probably are no more than that, I suppose regularly suggesting we should stab Blair makes me a terrorist in theory.

However, if somebody is an associate or member of a terrorist organisation, has met terrorist leaders and not only makes up a list of targets but has actively researched means and methods, he has rather gone beyond being a mere fantasist. Conspiracy to commit a crime like this is rightly a crime in itself and anyone who acts in this way needs to be confined for the protection of the rest of us.

Blatant naivety is right. There are some total idiots on this board.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

The prosecution conceded the police had not found any evidence that materials had been acquired to carry out the plans, but said officers had also failed to find weapons to which Barot had access.

Defence lawyer Ian Macdonald QC referred to the main part of the conspiracy as, in Barot's words, a "rough presentation". Mr Justice Butterfield said Barot had not achieved any of his terror goals and that, on the evidence, he had not "moved to the final stages of achieving them". But he added that this was no thanks to him.

The court heard Barot prepared meticulous plans for al-Qaeda figures on a series of synchronised attacks in the UK. "The central plan was for the construction and deployment in a basement car park underneath a building of an improvised explosive device using gas cylinders hidden in limousines," said Edmund Lawson QC, prosecuting.

Mr Lawson added it was to be launched simultaneously with other attacks including a dirty bomb, an attack on trains, and the hijacking of petrol tankers to be rammed into a target. In the document, Barot had written his primary objective of the project was to "inflict mass damage and chaos".

The court heard Barot's plot also included plans to detonate a bomb under the River Thames to flood the Tube network and potentially drown hundreds of commuters.

Barot also planned to strike a number of US financial institutions. His plans for bombings in the US were initiated before the 11 September attacks, and Barot is not thought to have had any advance knowledge of them.
            Sorry, lads, this is a fantasist.

So he was going to simultaneously:

- Blow up a limousine full of gas cylinders
            - Set off a dirty bomb in London
            - Attack a train
            - Hi-jack a petrol tanker and ram a refinery
            - Flood the tube network
            - Attack some US financial institutions

Would have been a busy day for him then. He is not one of the real bad guys (where are the people who were going to procure the supplies and carry out the operation?) and if wasting scarce intelligence resources in an operation "unusual for its vast scale and the complexity" worrying about every loose tongued fool on the internet and banging him up for life makes you feel safe at night, good for you.

I feel it's no coincidence his name is an anagram of Borat.

Comment

Yeah,
              but what the fook do you know? You're a fooking Dalek. You can't even get up the stairs!!!

Chico
              “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Sorry, lads, this is a fantasist.

So he was going to simultaneously:

- Blow up a limousine full of gas cylinders
                - Set off a dirty bomb in London
                - Attack a train
                - Hi-jack a petrol tanker and ram a refinery
                - Flood the tube network
                - Attack some US financial institutions

Would have been a busy day for him then. He is not one of the real bad guys (where are the people who were going to procure the supplies and carry out the operation?) and if wasting scarce intelligence resources in an operation "unusual for its vast scale and the complexity" worrying about every loose tongued fool on the internet and banging him up for life makes you feel safe at night, good for you.

I feel it's no coincidence his name is an anagram of Borat.
                So how did this "fantasist" manage to lose several MI5 watchers, who quickly realised he had been expertly trained in counter-surveillance (and God know what else)?
                It was believed he spent approx 2 years (iirc) in terrorist training camps in Afghanistan and Pakistan. So what do you idiots think we should have done to him? 200 hours community service and a £50 fine?
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Don't be ridiculous Mordac. They would really have thrown the book at him had we unleashed the full wrath of the leftie brigade at him. Have you ever heard of an ASBO??

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac
                    So how did this "fantasist" manage to lose several MI5 watchers, who quickly realised he had been expertly trained in counter-surveillance (and God know what else)?
                    It was believed he spent approx 2 years (iirc) in terrorist training camps in Afghanistan and Pakistan. So what do you idiots think we should have done to him? 200 hours community service and a £50 fine?
                    Look, Mordac, I'm not saying he hasn't done anything wrong. Conspiring to commit terrorist offences has been a serious offence since the 1970s, but this was reckoned to be an operation "unusual for its vast scale and complexity" and all they have to show for it is one loose-tongued, clueless fool of a front man who was only banged up because he pleaded guilty on the advice of his brief who had been assured he would get a light sentence. Even the prosecution were shocked at the severity of the sentence. Had he pleaded not guilty I'm not convinced a conviction would have resulted.

If anyone thinks this was a good use of scarce intelligence resources, when the real danger men are running around laughing their socks off, is living in cloud cuckoo land. This is just another from the "chemical bomb attack on Old Trafford foiled" school of intelligence work, to keep the public reassured that the government "is doing something".

Comment

all they have to show for it is one loose-tongued, clueless fool of a front man
                      I'm not sure that what he had in mind for those of us who live and work in London fits that description. After 7/7 I would happily throw anyone who even pretends to support terrorism on that scale in Belmarsh for 40 years, and I don't give a flying f**k about his human f**king rights.
                      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                      X